Part 6

Lewis was relieved that the pack introduction went so well. Not that he was overly surprised; most of the more disagreeable pack members had left in the split with his brother. Who was left were either the ones too reasonable to be sucked into his rhetoric, or the very loyal ones to himself or his father.

Either way, I guess it's a good thing.

He led his mate towards his house, breathing a small sigh of relief when Bridget and Gary didn't insist on following. He liked them both a lot, but they could be a lot. Especially since they seemed to have instantly bonded with Alyssa.

Just admit it. We're jealous. We want to bond with Alyssa too.

We don't know what all she's been through. She was abandoned by her pack as an infant. Her only knowledge of us doesn't paint Alpha's in a good light... or at least they don't seem to. Lewis resolved to get his hands on some of those books and read through this. It might help us understand how she views us... and how to reassure her.

I like her. His wolf's voice was filled with a patient care. Even if she doesn't like us just yet, I hope she's happy and feels safe here.

I do too. Lewis desperately wanted to reassure his mate. He could feel her anxiety through the bond. Even when she was smiling she didn't feel safe. But he didn't know how to help just yet.

They reached the house, and as they were about to enter, the door swung open and Lewis's mother rushed out. Making a beeline for Alyssa, she hugged her tightly, grinning.

"I'M SO HAPPY YOU'RE HERE!"

Alyssa seemed shocked at the sudden appearance of his mother. Lewis tried to step in. "Mom, don't scare her..."

"Finally someone normal sized!" Alyssa burst out, hugging his mother back.

"I know, right? They're all way too tall!" Lewis's mother stepped back, patting her head fondly. "I forgive them since they're all such good people, but still, I'm happy to have someone I don't have to strain my neck to look at."

"Mom, this is Alyssa, my mate."

"I figured as much dear. You've never paid so much attention and care to a single person before." She grabbed Alyssa's hand. "Come in, I made food."

Our mother understands! She'll show our mate how much food we can provide!

Alyssa glanced at him. "My wolf wants to make sure that the hamburger meat we brought got put in the fridge."

"I took care of it." Lewis puffed out his chest, feeling accomplished.

His mother just shook her head. "Boys. Why don't you take her bags up to the room next to mine while I get her something to pad her stomach?"

"Yes, Ma'am." He grabbed the suitcases full of books, weapons and clothes and rushed up the stairs. Her room was on the opposite end of the house from him, right next to his mother's rooms.

Why is she staying so far away from us? His wolf whined in his head. What if something happens? How will we protect her?

She already doesn't trust us. Hopefully the living arrangements will make her less nervous. If she doesn't like it, she might go stay with Bridget instead. Do you want that?

No. Stupid Bridgett. She brought up the bedwetting incident. Our childhood shame bared in front of our mate! What if she doesn't like us now?