Chapter Five

Cameron

"Hey mom, I'm home." I shout as I enter the house. Rick's loaded and we've got an amazing house just on the outskirts of town. Rick owns a huge engineering company, one of the leading ones in California I think, and he dotes on mom. We've been here for three years now and I love it. When we left the UK we moved to Massachusetts because mom has a cousin there, but it never felt like home.

"Hi darling, how are you?" Mom comes strolling down the stairs and gives me a kiss. "How was your day?"

Yeah right, like I can possibly tell her Annie and Simon are here. Stock answer it is.

"Fine thanks. I'm going to go do some homework." I say heading up to my room.

I felt awful all afternoon thinking about what I did to Annie. I didn't even think about her stage fright. Although, to be honest, I thought she might've gotten over it by now.

And what was all that with Anderson? Why was he talking to her? Should I say something to him to tell him to stay away? No, I lost my right to be protective over her a long time ago.

Kayleigh was driving me crazy all afternoon, hanging off me and asking me questions about Annie. I really need to cut her loose. I don't know why I'm having sex with her. Surely there's someone less...annoying that I could do that with?

But she insists this is how its meant to be. Head cheerleader and, well, quarterback but its not as if Anderson will give her the time of day, so I'm next in line, apparently. Lucky me.

I log onto Facebook and search for her. There she is, Anya Blakeman. Should I add her? Of course I should, she won't mind.

I click 'add as a friend' and within minutes she accepts so I head onto chat with her.

-Hey Annie, how was your first day?

-Well, apart from some jackass making a fool of me at lunch, not bad thanks. How was your afternoon?

-Haha, sorry Annie, I do feel bad about that.

-No worries, it's done now.

-You kicked ass though. Even better than I remembered!

-Thanks. Keeps me busy.

-So, you know Anderson?

-Oh, Devan? No, not really. Spoken to him a few times but that's about it. Not sure what to think of him.

-???

-Well, one minute he's an arse, then he's nice to me, then he's an arse again.

-Stop saying arse. It's ass.

-No, it's arse to me.

"Cameron, dinners ready!" I can hear mom shouting from downstairs and groan.

-Got to go Annie. Need a ride to school 2moro?

-No thanks, I'm good. See you tomorrow xx

I shut down and head downstairs to collect my plate of lasagna and sit at the dining table listening to mom babble on about the ladies she has tea with. This may well be a long night.

*****

Anya

I finish washing the dishes and putting everything away and lean back against the counters, sighing. Even though it was my first day I have a ton of homework in order to play catch up with the curriculum.