Part 27

Nell sat beside the door of her room on the floor looking through the make up kit her older sister had given her for Christmas the year before. She had used a few of the items a handful of times but some of the things she had to google to figure out what they were used for. She was surprisingly nervous. 

It was date night. Charles was going to pick her up for their very first official date in an hour and she was trying to figure out how to do make up. They had hung out together nearly every day but this felt different. She had picked out her outfit and it was on her bed. Her hair was still wet and piled up on top of her head waiting for her to do something with it. 

"UGH Why is this so hard?" Nell huffed at herself alone in her room. She decided that it was time to call in reinforcements. 

The video call rang and she half hoped it would go unanswered. 

"Nell! What are you up to?" The bright chipper voice of her older sister filled her room and it was almost like she was back home. 

"I'm trying to figure out some of this make-up." Nell cringed waiting for the reaction she knew was coming.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! What? why? do you have a date? Who with?" Persey had answered the call distracted by pinning fabric onto a dress form, but as soon as Nell said those magic words she got her sisters full attention. 

"Charles, we are going on our first official date. I was going to put on some make u, but this kit has fifty three different things and twenty seven different brushes!" Nell sighed looking at the display of things on her floor. 

"I knew one day you would come to me!" Persey looked so excited Nell actually started to feel a little scared. 

"Ok show me what you have and I will guide you through." Nell panned the camera down to her pile on the floor.

"Penelope!" Persey scolded. "Get that stuff set up on your desk. You can't do your make up on the floor!" 

Nell did as she was told and followed her sisters instructions including how to use the weird mirror that she had gotten for her birthday. Persey was exceptionally patient and a great teacher. Nell had always resisted her sister's attempts to make her over. She had been the subject of many make-over attempts over the years, but Nell had never tried to do her face herself. She was able to follow the instructions to a decent result and actually found herself laughing and having fun with her sister. 

"I hope that you have the best time! You deserve it Pen." She said sincerly.

"Thanks Perse, I am surprisingly really nervous. Why am I so nervous? We hang out all the time!" Nell opened up to her sister. 

"A date is different. I get it. He was your friend and now he is more. Just remember to stay friends and you will be fine. Don't try to be a 'girlfriend' guys don't really like that. just be your normal awesome self. it will be great!" Persey said making Nell relax a little.

"I don't think I would be very good at being the stereotypical girlfriend anyway. You know me I'm not the normal girl type of anything!" Nell laughed.

"Nell, you are awesome, don't ever forget that! You are like the most amazing girl I know. You don't fall into any of the bull crap the rest of us girls do." Persey smiled into the camera and Nell wanted to hug her.

"Thanks Perse. You are the best. I don't know what I would have looked like with out you." Nell smiled back. They signed off the call and Nell quickly dried her hair and pulled it up into a sleek high pony tail. She dressed in her favorite black leggings and a soft grey tunic. She loved the feeling of the super soft fabric and she liked that she didn't feel restricted and she was comfortable and she thought it looked nice on her.