Chapter 5

Ryuga's POV

Ryuga was completely frozen, staring at the castle. He shook his head. Rain was battering the ground all around him and a clap of thunder split the air. *If I stay out here any longer, I might actually catch a cold...* He rested his hand on his forehead. *And I don't want to get any sicker...* He had no choice: he had to enter the Dark Nebula's castle.

Ryuga took a deep breath. Shivering, he made his way toward the building, stopping right in the doorway. *It's empty! Don't be such a scaredy-cat.* He stepped further into the dark building. Removing his hood, he looked around, struggling to make out anything in the dark.

"Ryuga?" A familiar voice, one as cold and icy as a winter day, pricked the air. "Issss that you?"

Ryuga looked around. There, shrouded in the shadows, was Reiji. He was leaning against the wall, his eyes covered by his hair and his clothes clinging to his much thinner frame.

Ryuga's eyes narrowed. "What are you doing here?"

"I never left," Reiji admitted, his head hung low. "What bringsss you back here after all thesse yearsss?"

"None of your business" Ryuga growled.

Reiji backed up a bit. Then, in a small voice, he added, "Where isss Doji?"

Ryuga clenched his jaw. "That sorry excuse for a human being? He's dead, had it coming too."

"Really? The man who raissssed usssss like a father deserved to die? Ssssounds a bit ungrateful." Reiji didn't even sound angry, just confused.

Ryuga's fists clenched. "He wasn't a father, he was a prison warden. We were both just tools to him. That's not how a parent should treat their child." Ryuga wasn't sure where these words were coming from, but he believed them with complete clarity.

"And what do you know about parenting?" Reiji raised an eyebrow. "Have you a child of your own now, Ryuga?"

Ryuga almost laughed. "Of course not, don't be ridiculous."

Reiji let out a laugh: a cold empty sound. "Ah yesssss. Ssssilly me. You'd never go that sssssoft. No, perhapsss then you've been adopted?" Ryuga stiffened. "To gain this sssssudden opinion on how a parent should be, hm?"

"They're not my parents," Ryuga growled, trying to walk past him.

"You're not fooling me," Reiji replied, folding his arms.

"You think I've gone soft?" Ryuga demanded, grabbing his launcher. "Why don't I prove you wrong right here and now?" He pointed his launcher at Reiji, who just stood there staring.

"I never ssssssaid it made you a weak blader," Reiji replied, brushing past him. "You were the chosen one, after all. The only one who can wield the mighty L-Drago. I hope you haven't forgotten that."

"Of course not." Ryuga wished he had. He wanted to forget everything about Doji and the Dark Nebula and his past.

"Then prove it. There'sssss a tournament in the sssss-city tomorrow. We can have our battle then."

Ryuga perked up. *There is a tournament in the city? Tomorrow?! Perfect!*

"Done." Ryuga dipped his head.

"Good." Reiji turned and walked further into the castle. "Make yourssself at home while you're here, missster Dragon Emperor." Then he faded from view in the dark.

Ryuga sat in the doorway, watching the rainfall. By the time it finally stopped, it was dark, almost midnight by the looks of it. Ryuga stiffened. He did not want to sleep here but he couldn't travel at night. Letting out a sigh, he laid down against the wall, practically curling up under his black jacket. His heart ached at the sight of it. *I wish I was home...*