CHAPTER 95: The wisp I needed

The hours that followed the ceremony were filled with music and merry laughter every single moment. During the reception of the newlyweds, every present guest took a moment to personally greet and wish them good luck in their new life. Some of them Jay didn't even know that well, for there were many people that worked at the palace, but he felt their words as honest as the rest.

They played games outside for a while, taking advantage of the nice breeze that blew all around, not too strong, not too dry either. As the day advanced, the party continued indoors in the grand living room, with music, dancers, and lots of food. Everyone was having a great time celebrating the latest union of the Maharaja —and the servants appreciated being allowed to take a break and have their work praised after all the efforts they had put into the event.

Even though Jay had been quite agitated that morning, he was a lot calmer now. He enjoyed watching his parents' eyes pop out of their faces at all that opulence. Albeit the royal family had thoroughly celebrated their arrival, a wedding party was on a different level, even a rather small one like the current. Jay could only snicker while imagining his parents' reaction if Kai had organized a royal wedding in style. They would have probably fainted. Maybe him too.

In Jay's humble opinion, this party had nothing to envy the bigger high-class ones. Somehow, being surrounded by a small number of people made it even more special. They didn't have to pretend nor put up with annoying guests for the sake of the crown. The ambiance was as relaxed as it had always been, Kai even allowed the servants to hang around and have a snack or a drink with them. Some accepted, others were too shy, but they valued the kind offer nevertheless.

Jay danced around the place, both in the figurative and literal sense. Everyone dragged him around, playing, chatting, eating, having fun! He felt like he was floating on clouds, light as a feather now that he had finally reached the end of that journey he'd started back in Shaiya.

♦️♦️♦️

The Maharaja took a seat by the table after being up for so long talking to the guests and playing with his family. His eyes never left Jay as he watched him move around the room with the others, laughing childishly. There wasn't a more perfect and sweet sound, Kai thought.

Someone plopped next to him. Kai found Skylor refilling her drink, she greeted him with a smile and he did the same before going back to admiring the newest member of his family.

"'Stargazing' again?" The girl asked.

Kai blinked, his cheeks acquired a faint rosy tone under his decorated eyes.

"Yeah," he agreed, fully aware of what a stupid face he was making every time he looked at the boy.

"I can't blame you. You two make quite the beautiful frame today."

"Thanks." Kai giggled at Skylor's innocent flirting. He stared in wonder at Jay once more and sighed pleased. "It looks like your special gift works as smoothly as ever," Kai commented to the girl.

His friend needed a moment to understand what he was talking about, then she grinned after taking a sip from her cup.

"Not as smooth as I'd like, but... yeah, I guess you could say that."

"Well, it brought Jay and me together. That's all that matters in my book."

Skylor's eyes lowered to the drink.

"I was really worried at first. When I had that vision, there were a lot of contradicting emotions in it. I wasn't sure if it meant you were going to get hurt or something... That's why I didn't tell you much. But it all became crystal clear when I found Jay at Mystake's place."