Chapter Five - At the Edge of the Mountains

I sat quickly. My heart was still beating fast as I quickly looked around. I suddenly felt a pain in my shoulder and I quickly looked down at myself. No, my clothes were not torn. There was no blood seeping through. I breathed a sigh of relief as I realized it had only been a dream. I felt my shoulder and winced at the stinging pain. Then the fight of the previous night all came back. I looked over to where the jemorz had lain last night and found it was still there. I knew I might not find food for a long time and should cook up some of the jemorz's meat but I couldn't bear the thought of eating his flesh. I decided against it. I still had my bow and could probably bring a deer down when I got hungry. I collected my weapons and started off. The blood had dried on my shoulder forming a hard crust and I longed to wash it off in a cool stream. But as far as I could see, there was no water around. So I walked for hours through the shaded forest. I hadn't had a drink since the night before and my throat soon grew hoarse and dry. As I trudged on, the nightmare from last night filled my mind. I couldn't forget the pain I had felt. And then there was the boy who had rescued me. Who was he? I wondered. I couldn't get over how strong he had been. And those eyes. I had never seen more beautiful eyes. I laughed at myself, ranting over a boy from a dream. But something about it had seemed so real. All the details were extremely clear in my mind. 

As days and nights passed I lost track of the time. The days merged into one long, seemingly unending space of time. The dream, which for the first few days had haunted me, grew foggy and eventually it slipped out of my mind. I thought I would never reach the mountains but then, one cool, autumn morning, I at last emerged from that vast forest. There before me the rocky cliffs jutted up from the ground like some huge, sleeping dragon. It took my breath away, standing there at the edge of the mountains I had journeyed to for so long. The wind blew my thick, black hair away from my eyes and I breathed deeply of the fresh, mountain air. I sighed, enjoying the cool breeze but then I remembered the mountain people. I dark cloud seemed to settle over me when I thought about what might happen to me when I came upon their dwellings. Don't think about it now. Focus on the present, I told myself. 

By the time I reached the bottom of the of the cliffs the sky was darkening. Despite the danger of climbing unknown cliffs in the dark I began the ascent. At first it was easy to find good holds for my hands and feet but as the sun disappeared I slipped frequently. Then as I reached up above my head, grasping onto a crack in the rock my left foothold broke. I screamed as I dangled above the dark abyss but my handholds held firm. I felt the rock with my feet but as far as I could tell it was absolutely flat. Then, at last, my foot found a tiny crevice. I pushed the toe of my deer-skin boot  into it as far as it would go then reached up with my right hand. My fingers found a large crevice but as I pulled myself up I found that it was a whole ledge. Although the night was dark my eyes had adjusted enough to see that the ledge was quite large and had a protective overhang. I decided it would probably be better to spend the night on the ledge. So I removed my bow and quiver and curled up on the cold rock. 

I awoke the next morning to the screeching of an eagle and loud flapping that could only have belonged to a creature with immense wings. I opened my eyes and saw an enormous eagle-like creature soaring straight towards me with outstretched talons. His ragged feathers were black and his shiny talons must have been at least five inches long. I jumped up, quickly snatching my bow up but it was too late. The huge talons grabbed me by my shoulders and then I was flying through the air. The eagle's claws dug into my already wounded shoulder as he flew over the jagged cliffs. I dared not move lest he drop me 100 feet to my death. I tried not to think about what he was going to do with me and looked around to see if I could spot any mountain warriors. I saw no signs of living creatures on the desolate rock below me. Then suddenly the eagle began to drop. We were plunging straight towards the gray, stone. I squeezed my eyes shut, bracing my self for the jolt I knew would soon break every bone in my body. But it never came. I opened my eyes and saw that we were flying a few feet from the ground. I felt the sharp claws loosening their painful grip on me. Then they released and I fell to the hard granite landing on my injured shoulder. I gave a little cry when the rough rock scraped against the deep scratches in my shoulder. When I stood up the eagle had disappeared. I stood there in amazement wondering why he had carried me here only to drop me on the rock. Oh well. This is better then being eaten. I brushed myself off and looked around to see exactly were the eagle had dropped me. I found myself on a large open area of rough stone. I had no idea which direction to go in or where the mountain warriors could be found. It was lucky for me that I didn't have to find them. A moment later an arrow whizzed past my cheek striking the rock before me. I whirled instantly but saw no one. The ground in front of me was scattered with large chunks  of broken rock, perfect places for someone to hide behind. I drew my dagger and looked around warily. I would have much preferred my bow but I had lost it when the eagle captured me. Another arrow flew towards me but somehow I dodged it. I guess my enemies decided that hiding and shooting at a girl was cowardly for all of a sudden I found myself surrounded by armor-clad warriors. “Put down the dagger,” one of the men said in a commanding voice. 

I knew it was a stupid thing to do, but I challenged him, “Why?” 

“If you don't put the dagger down immediately, I will shoot you,” he replied raising his bow. 

“I'm not afraid of death,” I replied, flipping my hair back. I tried to think of an excuse to make him want me alive and not dead but nothing came to my mind.

“You're a stupid girl,” he laughed, “But I will say this, you've got some courage,” with a nod to the other warriors he said, “Take her down, we'll bring her to Az Jabe,” They advanced towards me with drawn swords and bows ready to let loose a shower of arrows. I wasn't about to give up without a fight after I had come this far but as I was about to fling my knife at a muscular man coming straight towards me, I thought better of it and dropped it. These men might be the mountain warriors I was looking for and I better not go throwing knives at them if I was to gain their trust. The muscular man grabbed my wrists and roughly tied them behind my back. He shoved me towards a boy who looked to be not much older than I, saying, “You take her. Make sure she gets to Az Jabe without escaping,” with that, he and the other warriors hurried off and disappeared behind the boulders. I was left standing beside the boy. I turned to look at him and had to take a second look. Where had I seen that face before? There was something very familiar about his blue eyes. He grabbed my hands and made me walk forwards.

As we walked over the jagged rock I kept glancing back at him. It was driving me crazy not knowing where I had seen those eyes before. And then suddenly I knew. He was the boy from the dream. 

                                             ******************************************

Who is that mysterious boy from her dream????? Aren't you all dying to know??? Don't forget that little annoying vote button....he's calling your finger! And plz add this to your reading list if you want to support me!!!!!!!!!!!!!