Chapter Four - A Strange Glimspe

I rolled over and winced at the pain that shot through my body. Opening my eyes I found myself in a strange woods. The pale morning light shown through the thick leaves above me. As I sat up I again felt that biting pain. It gnawed at my whole body causing me to fall back to the ground. I lay still for a moment until the pain had eased a bit and then tried to sit up again. When I finally had succeeded in pushing my aching body into a sitting position I looked down at myself. What I saw took my breath away. My clothes were torn and the flesh I saw beneath them was red with blood. There was a sharp pain in my leg that wouldn't go away but when I looked at it I didn't see anything to cause the excruciating pain. I inhaled deeply to calm myself but the mere effort of breathing in filled my chest with fresh pain. I managed to keep myself from collapsing and tried to force my eyes not to look back down at myself. What had happened? I asked myself. How had I come by these injuries? But the memories were faint and thinking made my head ache. I had to remember! I forced myself to think harder. Bits and pieces came to my mind. A queen. Dark magic. A fierce battle. But what had the battle been over? This I could not remember, try as I might. I finally allowed myself to lie back down on the mossy ground but I found it was wet. I looked down and saw it was wet with my own blood. I dragged myself with my arms until I came to a dry spot of ground and collapsed, breathing heavily. 

I lay there for what seemed like hours. The sun appeared and the harsh light beat down on me until I felt as though my skin would burst into flames. Then suddenly there was a voice. It was distant but somehow I recognized it. The voice seemed to be calling me. “Fiandra!” It called, “Fiandra,” I tried to answer but found that my throat was dry and swollen and all that came out was a small groan. So I lay there totally helpless, hoping that the voice would find me and take me out of this nightmare. Then the voice became louder and all at once a figure burst through the trees and knelt down beside me. “Fiandra. Oh, I thought I'd never find you!” the figure gently stroked my burning cheek. His hand was so soft and cool. I closed my eyes. I felt him lift me carefully as though I weighed no more than a babe. I opened my eyes as he carried me and looked up into his face. His eyes were a clear, deep blue and locks of brown hair fell onto his suntanned face. I relaxed in his arms and let my eyes close again. When my lids shut memories suddenly flooded my mind. Parts of the battle became clear now. We were hiding behind trees shooting arrows at the advancing enemy. But we were losing. The enemy had some strange weapons. They were huge metal things and out of the front came fire, poisonous gas, and tiny, round, metal objects. One of the metal objects flew through the air at an amazing speed hitting the woman that crouched beside me. She screamed in pain and fell to the ground, clutching her chest. I quickly knelt down beside her but as I did so I left the cover of the trees and became a clear target for the enemy. One of the metal objects whizzed toward me and hit me straight in my thigh. Pain flared up and down my whole leg and it was all I could do to keep from blacking out. All around me my comrades were falling to the ground clutching various parts their bodies. And then suddenly I heard a cracking of wood above me and saw the huge branch snap off. It was going to falling straight on top of me. And then everything went black. 

                                                    ***********************************

Sorry this chapter's so short everyone! I'll post the next one soon! Don't forget to vote and add this to your reading list if you enjoyed it and want to support me!!!!!

- Vizdal