Chapter 30

Dan and Sam walked into Frank’s office in the Interplanetary Intelligence Agency’s station in Madrid. The office was impeccably clean, with merely a desk with one chair behind it and two in front of it. There were no filing cabinets, no papers. There were not even family pictures anywhere.

 This last fact was was mostly because Frank’s race bred like cats do. When a male senses a female in heat, he simply mounts her then and there, irrespective of where they may be. They have a good mutual orgasm and then both partners go their separate ways. It goes without saying that this behaviour, while normal on Frank’s planet, was more than a little disconcerting on Earth, particularly during inter-species meetings.

 Not surprisingly, his race was banned from the socially conservative Evangelical States of America, where the public display of a breast is punishable by up to three years in prison –so you can imagine how well public intercourse is received. In short, Frank had no idea or interest in how many offspring he might have, and even less of an interest in putting up their pictures.

 “You’ve found the so-called angel?” asked Dan.

 “Yes, I have. She is staying at the Hotel de Memorias Desvanecidas in the Valley of Dreams,” said Frank.

 “Really? She’s just booked a normal hotel room? Like that?” asked Dan.

 “You know I am not capable of lying,” said Frank.

 “Yeah, I know,” said Dan. “It’s just that I expected her to be in hiding or something, not staying in a hotel. What name did she use to check in?”

 “Her room and two others were booked by Maxwell van Mars,” said Frank.

 “I see. Let’s get together a team and bring her in,” said Dan.

 “I’m on it,” said Sam, plucking up a telephone and punching some numbers into it. He spoke for a moment then put his hand over the mouthpiece.

 “Do we want weapons?” Sam asked Dan.

 “You bet your arse we do,” said Dan. “You’ve seen what it did to those kroaches.”

 “Heavy weapons?”

 “Go for it.”

 Sam spoke briefly and then rang off. “They’ll be ready to move in about a half hour.

 “Excellent,” said Dan.