Chapter 13 Safe Haven

Kyle "Maximus" Valentino was determined to find his home, despite the dangerous obstacles that awaited him. Choosing to navigate on foot, he stealthily moved through the shadows, careful to avoid detection. As he approached his house, a horde of robot sentries swarmed the area, ready to capture him upon his return.

Reacting swiftly, Kyle ascended a tree with innate grace, camouflaging himself within the foliage's shadows. To his dismay, all that remained of his cherished home was smoldering rubble—a heartbreaking sight. Filled with rage, he longed to confront the man responsible, Don Lexington III. But Kyle knew he lacked the strength to face such a formidable enemy and his army of killer machines. The night sky's surveillance drones failed to notice his presence, further fueling his desire to escape and never look back.

Just as he was about to depart, a lead box caught his attention amidst the debris. Recognizing it as his father's, Kyle's heart raced. A robotic android armed with a modified Z-Gravity machine gun approached the box, causing him to hold his breath in fear of losing his last connection to his parents. With relief, he watched the android move away, seizing the opportunity to make his move.

Kyle leaped from the tree, landing silently on the ground, and sprinted toward the box. Swift as lightning, he snatched it up, clutching it tightly under his arm. With unparalleled agility, he evaded the robot sentries, putting miles of distance between himself and Don Lexington's forces.

Finally pausing to catch his breath, Kyle found himself standing on 34th Street in the town of Prometheus, outside Trinity. He recalled his father's stories about this place, where his best friend Jeff Regal resided. Knowing he had nowhere else to go, Kyle mustered the courage to approach Jeff's house, marked as number 107.

Nervously bouncing on the porch, Kyle knocked three times before taking a deep breath, catching the scent of lavender mint in the air. The neighborhood remained shrouded in darkness, except for the streetlights. Doubts filled his mind—what if they rejected him? Just as he turned to flee into the night, the porch lights flickered on, and the front door opened.

A strong hand gripped his shoulder, preventing Kyle from escaping. It was an older man—Jeff Regal. Overwhelmed, Kyle found solace in Jeff's embrace, his tears flowing freely. Carol, Jeff's wife, arrived and was equally astonished by the scene. Guiding Kyle inside, they closed the door, providing him with a sense of safety.

On the cream-colored couch, Kyle laid his head on Carol's lap while sharing the tragic tale of his parents' fate at the hands of Don Lexington. Frustration consumed Jeff, his anger evident, but Carol's soothing presence tempered his impulses. Their love and care enveloped Kyle, offering a semblance of reassurance.

As night fell, Jeff carried the sleeping Kyle to a spare bedroom, once belonging to their own grown-up son. With their immediate focus on Kyle's safety, Jeff realized they needed to change his name to protect him from Don Lexington's relentless pursuit. After discussing their plan, they agreed on the name Chris Regal.

Embracing his new identity, Chris yearned for a normal life, where he could attend school and interact with children his age. An old friend of Jeff's helped create a new ID card for Chris, solidifying his new name. The Regals became his adopted parents and guardians, providing him with love and support.

Every morning, Jeff and Carol chauffeured Chris to school, where he reveled in the joys of childhood and formed lasting friendships. To ensure Chris's safety and protect his new identity, Jeff obtained genuine identification documents.

The truth about Kyle's parents remained buried in the shadows, a testament to Don Lexington's influence and ill-gotten wealth. Jeff, knowing the gravity of the situation, shielded Chris from this dark knowledge, never uttering a word about it in his presence. Meanwhile, Carol embraced her role as Chris's caretaker, cherishing the blissful years they spent together as a family.

Time passed, and Chris continued to grow, surpassing even the height of Jeff's wife, Carol, by an inch. It was evident that the boy's journey of self-discovery was far from over. In stolen moments of solitude, he harnessed his hidden abilities, secretly practicing how to fly within the confines of his bedroom. Sometimes, he ventured to an abandoned oil refinery, a secluded sanctuary where he pushed the boundaries of his strength and speed, free from prying eyes. This haven became his sanctuary, a place where he felt truly alive.

Yet, amidst all the mysteries surrounding him, there was one enigma that remained untouched. Chris possessed a lead box, a relic left by his father, hidden securely under his bed. He resisted the urge to open it, saving that moment for another day. For now, it remained a silent reminder of the untold secrets that awaited him, patiently biding its time while Chris continued his journey of growth and discovery.