Chapter Three: Phone call

** Hey guys. This is the second last chapter. The next one is about one page. I've had a blast writing this for you guys. Thanks so much for your support! Thank you for commenting/voting/becoming a fan. I owe you guys so much. Enjoy.**

“Is it true?” He whispered in a barely audible voice.

“Is what true?” I asked him feeling a knot form in my stomach.

“Are you sick?” He asked me straining the word sick.

I sighed before replying. “Yes.”

He took a deep breath and a sob escaped his lips.

“How long have you been sick for?” He asked me, his voice breaking.

“Two years, but I only found out five months ago.” I informed him.

“The concert” he asked.

“Yah” I replied.

“I had a feeling” he whispered. I heard an announcement in the background.

“Where are you?” I asked him out of curiousity.

“The airport” he replied timidly.

“You’re coming back” I asked him.

“Yes” he said strongly.

“Okay” I sighed.

“Aren’t you going to convince me not to?” He asked me shocked that I hadn’t pestered him.

“I know you won’t budge even if I tried.” I answered. He didn’t reply. It stayed quiet for awhile before he spoke again.

“Why didn’t you tell me Mel? You’ve been sick all this time, and you didn’t tell me. I should’ve been there with you by your side fighting this thing. I should’ve been the one you leaned on. Why did you keep me out of this?” He asked me obviously hurt by my decision.

“Because I love you, I love you so much Michael. I saw you after my father’s death. You were hurting inside because of my depression. I didn’t want to see you like that ever again especially if I was the reason. I’m fine, you should finish the tour.” I reassured him.

“That’s not good enough” he whisper yelled. “You have lung cancer Melissa. You are dying and you’re telling me that you’re fine? You are my world, you mean everything to me and you think that keeping me in the dark is better for me?” He cried over the phone.

“I” I began, “I know, but I didn’t want you seeing me like this. I didn’t want you feeling the way Melanie, Charlotte and my mother do. I” I cried failing to continue speaking.

“I know” Michael sighed over the phone. “I know. I’ll be there tomorrow. I love you so much Melissa. Don’t forget it. I love you more than you could ever imagine” he whispered.

“I love you too, Michael. You are all that matters to me. I’m sorry” I said

“I know Mel, don’t be. I love you” he said before hanging up.

I lay down on the bed and cried. This was the first time in three months that I had cried. I cried non stop. An hour later, Charlotte and Melanie returned with a tube of ice cream. I smiled at them and made space on my bed.

“What did he say?” Melanie asked taking out the three spoons that they had brought with them.

“He found out about the cancer. I don’t know who told him, but he was heartbroken. He’s on his way back from Paris as we speak” I said digging into the cookie dough flavored ice cream.

We kept eating the ice cream until we couldn’t anymore. I didn’t have a roommate this time so we didn’t have to worry about that. I found out that Rachel, my roommate from the last time I was here, had passed away. She had a liver problem and they couldn’t find a donor.

“Melanie, Charlotte,” I said feeling the need to talk about this. “I want to be cremated and for my ashes to be spread across Paris” I said thinking of Michael’s promise. “I want Michael to do it, so that he can keep his promise. Tell him that when he gets here okay?” I told them.

“What are you talking about? Stop talking like that.” Charlotte said looking at me.

I looked up at the television screen and smiled. “I don’t think I’m going to make it through the night. You guys don’t either, so I’m just telling you what I want to happen. Also give this letter to Michael, okay?” I begged them taking out a letter from the drawer next to me.

Charlotte sighed, “alright, but only because I don’t want to hear anymore of your rubbish.”

I smiled at her and gave her the letter. She put it safely away and we continued watching the TV.

“I’m feeling tired” I yawned. “Call my mum in, I know she’s been out there for hours now, I scare her.” I mumbled.

“You don’t scare her she’s just scared of losing you.” Melanie replied walking out with Charlotte walking behind her, looking for my mum.

“Hey mum” I said as she walked in.

“Hi Melissa” she whispered kissing my forehead.

“I love you” I yawned.

 She smiled, “I love you too. Get some rest.”

“Okay, but promise me something” I said quietly.

“Anything” she whispered.

“Don’t mourn my death for too long. Okay. Please, don’t waste away your life mum, for me.” I cried.

“I promise” she cried hugging me tightly. “Get some sleep” she ordered after we parted. She was used to me talking like this. At first she would just yell at me and tell me to stop talking like that but she eventually gave up and listened to me.

“Good night” I mumbled.

“Good night” She replied walking out of the room.

“Hey Mel, Char” I yelled.

“Yah,” they said popping their heads in the room. “I love you guys so much. You guys are amazing. I couldn’t have asked for better best friends” I smiled at them.

“Back at ya” Melanie replied giving me a warm bear hug.

“Love you dude” Charlotte cried, joining in on the hug.

“Ditto” I smiled before they walked off.

A few minutes later my phone rang. I was feeling unbearably tired by now, but I still reached for my phone and answered it. I could feel my life force slowly leaving me as I closed my eyes.

“Hello?” I whispered.

“Melissa, are you okay? I got an extremely bad feeling about you.” Michael said panicking.

“I’m fine, just a little tired” I whispered slurring my words together.

“Melissa, Melissa! I love you, do you hear me, I love you. Wake up” Michael yelled over the phone.

“I love yo…” I said stopping as my life force completely left my body.