0030

Dust billowed over the lake from the road where trucks were racing out into the night towards the desserts east of Eirene.

Alethea picked up the pace, her thighs burning from her pace of climbing.

Ember struggled to keep up.

"Alethea! I blow stuff up- that's what I do! But I can't lead! I don't know the first thing about...."

She stopped and turned, grabbing the kid's shoulder.

"Come on Firecracker, I wouldn't appoint you to head of the mission if you weren't capable. Your mother and brothers are in there if they're alive. We've been over the plan a dozen times- you have twenty team leads to help you- just do what you do best and boss people around over the radio while you do it! I'll be there as soon as I can."

Ember glanced down towards the water, their face contorting as if they'd just been punched.

"What is it? Really?"

"I..." Ember hesitated. "I'm just afraid of what I'll find once we're inside. Even if I get them out, what if they don't... remember me, or the kids? I've been hoping to see them again for so long...."

Thea grasped their shoulders.

"Ember, it's going to be okay. We'll do everything in our power to rehabilitate them- and fast- we need numbers to march on Eirene tomorrow and if the Acahtta don't come... well, those people will be our only help." She turned to keep walking.

"So, we're just going to bust them out of enslavement and toss them into the meat grinder?"

"No," Thea growled. "We'll ask for able-bodied volunteers to help. If we don't stop the shipment, we'll all be dead in weeks anyway. I doubt Sera society will have room even for NESPs in the end of ends."

"All that on the line and you're still going after your sister?"

Thea clenched her fists and cut them a look.

"You got a problem with that?"

Ember chuckled.

"No. I wouldn't trust you if you didn't," they kicked at the ground. "Thea, I'm sorry that I... well, you know....."

Thea suppressed a smile.

"Kissing up now that I'm General, huh?"

"Yeah, that's it!"

They reached the road and Ember took off jogging towards her truck where their team was waiting, but they turned.

"Thea!"

Thea met her gaze.

"Bring that girl home. My brother's been insufferable."

Thea shook her head, hiding a smile.

"Stay safe, Ember."

Ember tossed their hand in disregard and ran off towards their team.

Pa was helping Ezi load the weapons into the back of the truck. Their combat teams were loading up in the surrounding trucks.

Pa turned upon hearing her approach.

"The base will be in full lockdown- the ventilation system has been completely shut down and the oxygen tanks are ready."

Alethea nodded and stuck her thumbs in her pockets, scanning the lake terrain. With the ventilation system sealed shut, Seras would have to break into the base itself to release the toxin and considering the lake was an even one hundred feet deep past the near-shore drop-off, and there was only one hidden entrance, that would be an improbable challenge.