005

Several hours later, Alethea sat on the couch in the room de bion watching the DataTechs fuss about the family Serata at the end of the pier while Father stood idly with crossed arms and a brow that had never been so deeply furrowed.

Mother was clattering around in the kitchen.

Alexius was hiding in her room.

"Alethea," Mother called.

Alethea turned her head in response. She sat in the same manner the Empress had at her throne with one leg draped over the other, swinging her foot. She couldn't get the image of the ghostly woman out of her head.

"Yes, Mother?"

Mother chopped basil too briskly, in danger of slicing the delicate tips of her fingers. She looked tired with bags under her eyes and frizz propelling from her usually well-kept braids.

"You know they won't find anything new, right?"

"I would bet differently."

Mother frowned.

"What makes you think so?"

Alethea didn't reply, rather turned her eyes back onto the Serata, the lake, and her Father who was pacing the pier. For a moment, she saw him as more than a business obstacle, more than the other alpha personality of the house as she recalled time they'd spent together: from building block towers when she was a child to co-presentations of new tech to the council. He'd be severely punished for his crime of data-medling. But, she supposed, he'd sealed that fate for himself when he'd strapped her little sister into the shocking chair in the basement. Had he not realized she'd been watching all these years?

She could run away and leave him to face time for his crimes. Mother would have the house to herself; mother had always thrived in solitude anyway. Was she seriously talking herself into running off with the Pyros? It was decided- she had to at least get Alexius out.

"You suspect your Father of hacking the Serata?" Mother whispered.

Alethea didn't reply.

"That's a... serious accusation. But you are the brightest Neural Engineer alive and highly Sera. If anyone could sniff out a crime, it's you, my Daughter." Mother's voice cracked.

Alethea turned and studied her expression finding it to be strained.

"Is everything alright, Mother?"

Mother averted her eyes, focusing solely on the salmon she was preparing.

"Of course, Alethea. I am in sera and eirene."

She nearly grimaced at her Mother's tone. Mother had secrets too- deep, deep down.

The DataTechs left with their slender cases and empty promises that it was surely a mistake and that the trial would replay the same by morning.

Alexius refused to emerge from her room no matter how many times Father commanded.

Finally, the house was calm, and Mother, Father, and Alethea sat in silence delicately slicing their fish and steamed vegetables and sipping their wine.

Father cleared his throat.

"It is only a twenty-four-hour delay. Then, all will be as it should be."

Alethea took a bite and cut him a look.

"Yes, I am sure they will find absolutely nothing wrong with the data."

Father arched a brow and set down his fork.

"Why then, did you request an analysis, Alethea?"

She took a bite of seasoned salmon, chewed, and turned to Mother.