Chapter Twenty Six - What is Love?

The drive to the supermarket was a long and quiet one, and I continued to sneak glances at Sasuke whenever I was sure he wasn't looking. To me, he seemed, well, normal. No bawling, no sniffling, no short intakes of breath. As a matter of fact, he looked... at peace. 

I frowned as I tried to contemplate what had gone wrong with Sakura. As far as I knew, there were never any arguments. No sign of discord or distrust anywhere. Sasuke cleaned up his act for her. So what went wrong?

"What flavour are you going to choose?" he asked lightly, gently swerving into the car park of the nearest supermarket. I broke out of my daze, and blinked at him.

"What?"

"[Favourite flavour], right?" he asked boredly, switching off the engine and undoing his seat belt. He opened his door and got out, leaving me staring at his seat. I blinked away my confusion, and made to follow him.

"Eh? Hey, we were supposed to be getting ice-cream for you!"

"You know I don't like sweets."

"But ice-cream's not that sweet!"

"Whatever." I hurried after the Uchiha as he strode into the store before me, jogging to catch up.

"What happened? Why did you break up?" I hissed, falling into pace with him. He ignored me and grabbed a basket, heading towards to frozen goods section. He continued ignoring me as we walked, making me scowl in annoyance. "Sasuke!"

He sighed as he put down the tub of ice-cream he'd been holding, and looked over at me from under his raven bangs.

"You really want to know?" he asked in a dull tone, making me groan and pull at my hair.

"Well duh!"

"There was no connection." I blinked. What?

"What?" I voiced my thoughts, staring blankly at Sasuke's emotionless face.

"Sakura's a nice girl and all, but we had no real relationship," he said monotonously. "It was exactly like what you said. What was it, a presentational relationship?"

"Sasuke, that's not even a thing!" I squealed, following him as he moved further down the freezers, analysing the range of flavours. "I don't get it! No connection? Why?! You two were perfect together! I mean- it looked like you two really loved each other!" Sasuke dropped the basket he was holding onto the ground, making me freeze at his reaction. Was he mad?

"[Name]."

I gulped, and he looked at me with a serious expression on his face.

"What exactly is your perception on this irrational thing called love?" His face was hard set, making me doubt myself and my thoughts. Was I being narrow minded? I shrugged, trying to string together a reasonable response.

"W-well, I don't know, I've never really found anyone who was, you know, for me!" I said defensively. "I love my family, I guess. My friends. You could even say I love you, to an extent. But I don't get why you couldn't find it with Sakura? I mean, you two worked out so well after your first date, and I-"

"How would you describe being in love?"

"Why the fuck are you asking me?!" Sasuke narrowed his eyes at me and stepped closer, looking down at me.

"How do you feel when you're around Suigetsu?" I flushed at the mention of the Hozuki, and poked my tongue at Sasuke.

"Happy? I don't know?" Sasuke rubbed his chin, as if deep in thought.

"Do you blush whenever you think of him? Does your heart race whenever you're with him? Do you feel like you can just be you in front of him, and not have to pretend to be someone else? Do you get jealous whenever he's talking to other girls, or feel like you could be losing him at any moment because you're too shy to make a move? Do you feel like you can trust him with everything you have, including all your baggage? Can you rely on him to be there for you whenever you need someone? Do you, [Name]?"

Now I frowned. Actually, I did feel a little odd whenever I was with Suigetsu. I mean... I didn't flirt. There was just something about his presence that made me want to be, well... flirtatious. As for the rest, well... I didn't know. Maybe? Yes? No? Not really?

"Ahh... occasionally, but then, no..." As I began to think about it more, I came back to the immediate conversation at hand as I realised something.

"EH!? SASUKE, HAVE YOU EVER FELT LIKE THAT BEFORE?!" I shrieked. 

He promptly picked up the fallen basket and began to walk away, me trailing in his tracks. 

"Sasuke!"

"[Name]," he said over his shoulder, still walking on. "Sorry, but I don't think I ever loved Sakura."

"Then who?!"

There was a pause, and Sasuke halted in his step. He looked over his shoulder, staring at me with a blank look in his dark, charcoal eyes.

"I love someone completely different. Now, are you going to choose your damn ice-cream or not?"

I wailed, clutching my hands to my eyes.

​"DUDE!"