Chapter 1 (Edited)

Chapter 1:

Running away, a cunning thought I’d once had, but never thought I would ever do, all that changed when I’d had enough. I had enough of my family never taking notice of me or listening to me, I had enough of people nagging me saying I was different, I had enough of my friends lying to me and saying they couldn’t trust me. I had to wait for the right moment and waited until night time when everyone was asleep so I could make my escape. I sighed as I quickly picked up my brush and started back combing my black hair, that was down to my shoulders, grabbing my make-up bag I put eyeliner around my hazel eyes and topped it off with red lip gloss covering my pale pink lips. I didn’t look that bad for a 17 year old. I then quickly grabbed a backpack from under my bed and started stuffing it with everything I may need. Clothes and some make-up then quietly walked out of my room and across the landing, passing my parents and my sister’s bedroom and started quietly tip toeing down the stairs, hoping that my family wouldn’t wake up. I slowly made my way to the kitchen and raided the cupboards, filling my bag with as much food as I could manage and then slid a very sharp knife out of one of the draws. I then heard a loud creak behind me. Slowly I started turning around, I was in the corner of my very large kitchen as I saw my 15 year old sister,  Hailey, tiredly stalk into the kitchen and yawn. Her ginger hair was messed up from sleeping and her green eyes were clouded from sleep. I envied her as my parents adored her, she had my mother’s ginger hair and my father’s green eyes but I had grandma’s features from my mother’s side. Hailey then went to a cupboard and pulled out a packet of crisps, then turned around and stalked out of the room.

With a sigh of relief I listened for the slam of her door before I went back up to my room, because I didn’t want to take the chance of my parents coming down and actually noticing me, when I heard her door shut, I slowly crept upstairs but froze outside my parents door when I heard a sleepy moan from inside. As quick as I could I tip toed to my room and shut the door behind me. “Too close” I murmured “too close.” I made my way to my window and opened it, luckily there was a tall tree outside of it so I climbed on it with ease and started slowly making my way down. I put my foot on a weak branch and before I could react it snapped of and I fell to the ground with an oomph. Recovering, I got up and started jogging away from the house down the road.

 “Keira?” I froze at my name and slowly turned around putting on a fake smile.

“Mrs Raven, what are you doing out this late?” I said

“Well, I could ask you the same thing” Mrs Raven replied

“I couldn’t sleep, so I decided to take a jog”

“With a bag?” suspicion playing in her eyes “it looks full up with stuff there Keira, too much for a jog anyway”

“A drink and a few snacks if I need them. I get pretty hungry and tired out.  Never mind that, what are you doing out so late?” I snapped, putting emphasis on the word you,  I didn’t care that I was being rude to her; she was nosing around my business so I decided to be the same back at her, hypocritical I know but it serves this woman right.

She didn’t look fazed by my outburst, instead she just calmly replied “just taking a midnight stroll for the same reason you are. Couldn’t sleep.”

“Ok then, I guess I’ll see you around” I started turning back around and started jogging again.

“Like wise” I just heard her say “actually, wait…Keira WAIT!” she shouted the last part when I kept jogging, I sighed and turned around.

“What now?” I snapped, desperately trying to get out of this village before everyone woke up and started going to work and obviously noticing I'm gone, because I would like to be long gone before they even try to find me if they even bother.

“That is no way to talk to an elder young lady!” she snapped back

“You didn’t care earlier”

“Maybe because I was trying to ignore it earlier” she countered

“Whatever, just get to the point” she glared at me but I just rolled my eyes

“I was just thinking that maybe we could walk together you know, so your safe and don’t get hurt because looking at those grass stains on your trousers it looks like your hurt and won’t be able to fend for yourself as easily if you were attacked” I narrowed my eyes at her. I don’t really think she cared I think she was just making sure that I didn’t run away like she probably guessed I was doing.

“I think I’ll pass” I turned around and started running again.

“Wait! Wait! Keira wait! It’s not safe, especially when you are outside on your own! You don’t know what is out there!” she cried but I just ignored her. “There is more out there than you know!” again I ignored her petty lies, she was just doing her best to make sure that I didn’t run away.

 Mrs Raven never cared about anyone, not even her husband who died of a random illness that Mrs Raven said was just a cold. But when she didn’t call for the doctor or anything he died. I think her children were glad to have left her though, especially because they didn’t want what happened to their father to happen to them.  Mrs Raven got away with mistreating Mr Raven like that because she just said “I just thought it was nothing, he wasn’t crying out in pain and he only had the symptoms of a normal cold.” Stupidly everyone believed this but me. I knew she was lying because I could see through her innocent old woman act, but it annoyed me that everyone was just oblivious to the truth. He obviously had a really bad wound somewhere because the doctors found that he had lost a lot of his blood and yet they believed that it was just a cold, how stupid were these people?

I felt suspicious of her so I turned towards the park and ran through. Next to the park was the private woods owned by a very rich man, people say he was only young, about 20 years old. There were rumours going around that he had about 10 or 15 houses all around the world and he occasionally visited each one to have a little holiday away from the last. I thought it was just plain weird especially since everyone said that he lived alone and kept to himself. No-one would see me in his woods, so if I went in there I wouldn’t get stopped by any more annoying neighbours would I? Before I changed my mind I made my way to the tall fence that was cutting off the forest from the park and started climbing over. My jeans snagged at the top of the fence and I stopped to pull it off, only to lose my balance once it was unhooked and fell to the ground with yet another oomph. What was with me today and falling off of things? Again I recovered and found myself running deeper inside, dodging trees and jumping over large logs. I eventually grew tired and stopped to regain my breath, taking my bag off I took out a bottle of chilled water and gulped half of it down, then put the cap on and put it back inside my bag. Throwing it on my back, I continued sprinting through the forest.

“Hey! You there! What are you doing in here, these woods are privately owned! How did you get in here? Get out!” a voice said, I stopped in my tracks and looked around until I saw several men stood watching me about 10 metres away, looking wary. I faced forward again and sprinted as fast as I could just trying to cross this somewhat massive forest and be free from this horrible village. People said that at the other side of this forest surrounding the village there were mountains. I had thought over my plan of running away millions of times because I knew that once I got to the mountains it was going to be very hard to survive, but a hard life is better than the life of ignorance and selfishness I thought so I decided to go ahead with my plan. The sound of twigs snapping and shouts behind me urged me to race on more but I didn’t notice the big log in my way until it was too late.  I tripped over it and smacked my head hard against a tree, once again on the ground; I let the darkness take me over.

__________________________________________

Hello everyone,

Pic on side: Keira Hallows

This is my first proper story I have put on here and if anyone could help me, I would be grateful. I would love to hear your comments and you can vote if you would like to. Please tell me how I can improve (im always looking to improve) so yeah, I hope you enjoy and i will update ASAP :D I would also like to thank MADcreations for the wonderful cover and my friend Yasmin for the support :D Sorry that this chapter was a bit short, just getting started. The next ones will hopefully be longer. Please dont hesitate to comment, I would love to hear your thoughts. UPDATE COMING SOON