The First

I open my eyes and find myself in the middle of nowhere. It's where I usually end up when he tries to find me. It's been a long time since he's attempted to. I sit up and see him perched on a bench a few feet away. We're surrounded by trees and it's dark. All I can hear is the leaves rustling against the wind. I roll my eyes at him. I used to be terrified when he pulled me here. I wouldn't allow myself to sleep, afraid that when I did all I'd see was him. But over the years I've learned his limits. He can't find me. Only in my dreams. Which means he can't hurt me. "Haven't we done this before?" I ask to get to my feet. He can never take me to a place that doesn't involve me waking up on the ground. He chuckles. "Indeed we have Logan. But I have an offer for you". I can't see much of his face because of how dark it is. I think he does that on purpose. He wants to find me. Not the other way around. But I can always sense that wry smile he has. He probably wants me to see it. Nothing in this world is real. I only ever see or hear what he wants me to hear. I look around "Well I'm clearly not going anywhere so spit it out". Now he stands but doesn't move any closer to me. "I know your secret is out Logan. You told your pretty little friend what you are. And from what I hear she's quite the understanding one. You better be careful with people like that. You never know who might be lurking around ready to snatch them away from you". I feel the anger boil up inside of me "Stay the hell away from her" I say through gritted teeth. He turns around and has his back facing me. "You have a choice, Logan. You can either join my army. Or I'll kill her". Since the day I turned he's been asking me to join him. I made sure I kept to myself and never cared about anyone. Never got close to them. I didn't understand what I was or what I could do. I never trusted myself. When Kairo was in the picture I got nervous. Waiting for the day he'd make a claim on Kairo's life. And he has. We've had hybrids coming out of the shadows looking for us. They can't track me. That's part of the hybrid side of it all. And that's why he kept Kairo alive. Using him to track me. But Diana... She's now a whole other problem. I shrug my shoulders. Even though he's not facing me he knows my every move. "And?". He makes a wild claim on Diana's life but for what? I wouldn't want someone else to die for me. But that doesn't mean she is anything to me. He doesn't say anything. He just leaves me in the silence knowing how much I hate it. Minutes go by. "With every new hybrid I get stronger and stronger. My power grows as will yours and all the others. So I know things. Lots of things" He turns to me. This time I can see him clearly. Short hair. Old in the eyes but nowhere else. He has a scar that goes from his eye and down his cheek. I've rarely seen him like this. And the sight still haunts me. "There will come a point when that girl's life means everything to you. And you will choose me so that she can live". A big gust of wind washed over me making me stumble backwards. I fight to find my footing. I grab onto a tree to stable myself and hold on tight as the wind gets stronger.

"Logan"

I try to look around me but I can't. I only get glimpses of what's happening. He's gone. Nowhere to be seen. Loud crashes are all around me where the trees are falling down. The branch I'm desperately holding on to begins to wobble. I throw myself to the side before he can crush me.

"Logan! Wake up"

Pain explodes all over my body. He's doing this to me. In what feels like a far distance I can hear a voice calling my name. Diana's voice. He's trying to play mind tricks on me. I shake from the cold and force myself up. I've got nowhere to go but I know I have to run. I shoot into the words. I can still hear Diana's voice. I'm trying to follow. Maybe that's what he wants. I control nothing in these dreams. So I follow it anyway hoping it's some sort of way out. The path in front of me begins to change. It doesn't look dark anymore. Just pure white light. I glance behind me at the havoc of the world falling apart. I want my legs to go faster towards the light and throw myself into it.