Chapter 21: The Lion Among the Sheep

Let them see you tonight.

"Chin up," Lady Blackwood instructed, the carriage drawing to a halt. She reached her hand over, steady and sure, and straightened the gold domino mask tied to Nicola's face. "Shoulders proud, back straight. Smile."

Nicola nodded, her stomach knotting as the carriage door was thrown open. Tepid air from outside lurched up to greet her, stirring the silken skirts of the gown she wore, whispering against the naked flesh of the tops of her arms. There was chatter outside, horses' hooves against the cobbles. It sounded busy, excited.

Let them see you tonight.

Lady Blackwood was assisted out first, notching her chin high with an ingrained austerity. She straightened her opulent gold-sequinned gown, swiped at an imaginary crease in her black elbow-length gloves, then stood back for Blanche to exit. The girl favoured flare over grace and bounded out the door, her shimmering black gown billowing wide before settling. Blanche was grinning as she straightened the same gold mask over her face that Nicola wore, her silver eyes glinting in contrast to the starkness of her dress and the clash of colour of the mask.

Following her, Nicola stepped out the carriage with the assistance of a footman, straightening her shoulders, and she craned her head to take in the façade of the building before her. Newly commissioned by the Prince Regent, the Henley Rooms was a majestic three-story face brick structure with four imposing columns over the entrance. She felt ribbons of her hair slip against the exposed skin of her back, artfully curled and pinned to her crown to allow for a natural looseness and fall of her wayward locks. Nicola glanced down, assessing her black gown, and seeing that it was flawless, the fabric glistening like an iridescent diamond as it caught and absorbed light, did exactly as Lady Blackwood instructed.

The three of them strode up the few steps inside the building and were greeted by a vast entrance foyer where they were to be ushered inside and then announced to the occupants of the main ballroom. There were also two other ladies in the foyer who beamed with jubilant smiles and animatedly strode towards them when they apparently recognised Lady Blackwood.

"Lady Sinclair," Kathleen said happily, "Lady Weatherly, how delighted we are to see you in attendance tonight."

The first, a slender black-haired woman in an inky gown, smiled wondrously. "Wouldn't dream of missing this," she said. Her companion, vastly shorter, was wearing a golden gown that unfortunately clashed glaringly with the vibrancy of her red hair and complexion of her skin, but she didn't seem to care as she came forward and hugged Kathleen, then Blanche and finally Nicola.

"Victoria means to say that we are excited to be joining you this evening," Lady Weatherly said sweetly.

Nicola knew of them, of course, but had never made their acquaintance before. The women were married to two of the most powerful men in England. Though their appearances were rare at events of late, when they did hold company there was not a soul in town who did not know about it. "I am astounded and so very pleased Jason had the foresight to invite you to join us," Kathleen said to the both of them. Nicola found herself curious at that. Being titled ladies of repute and (mostly) good reputation, having them in attendance tonight and as guests of the Blackwood's ensured a hefty dosage of clout.

"Look, Em," Victoria was saying, propping an elbow atop Blanche's shoulder and leaning casually against her. "This one is almost as short as you."

Nicola snorted. Blanche glared at her through her mask. "One day, my incredibly tall husband will show the lot of you," she declared with a grin, shaking Victoria off with casual ease and staring up at her.