Chapter 17: Co-conspirators at the Opera

"You vex me."

Nicola leaned back in her cushioned seat from where she had been eyeing the crowd below from her advantageous position in the Blackwoods' private box seats. She met his storm-cloud gaze with a bemused smile, clutching the opera glasses in her lap as she tilted her head to regard Jason who was seated to her right, close beside her. On her other side, Lady Blackwood, and next to her, Blanche. Designated accordingly to keep Blanche and Nicola separate just in case, and Kathleen had said as much, the two of them got it into their heads to act mischievously amidst the attendance of what appeared to be most of the ton.

"Indeed?"

"I have left you countless letters and you have not responded," Jason said, playfully wounded.

Nicola glanced to the other occupants of the box, but they were engrossed in surveying the crowd, excitedly endeavouring to determine whether any notables were in attendance. Kathleen and Blanche would not be able to hear the interchange, especially over the din of the other guests. "Have you?" Nicola blinked at him innocently. "I must have been busy." It was partly the truth. She had kept herself as occupied with various tasks as possible throughout the day leading up to the opera that night in an attempt to stop thinking about his correspondence, about him.

"And what exactly has kept you so preoccupied at my estate?" There was a roguish smile curling his lips and he did look very handsome in his black evening attire, even if a wayward strand of dark hair was curling loose over his brow.

"I was gardening." Nicola shrugged and tore her eyes from him, focusing instead on the crowd below once more.

"Gardening?" His voice was a teasing scoff, mildly curious and intrigued at the notion.

"Yes, gardening," she repeated, as if he were daft or hard of hearing, or both.

"You're joking."

"I am not."

"You mean to tell me," Jason said slowly, leaning forward slightly until his proximity drew an invisible shiver across the back of her neck, "you were playing around in the mud, in the Northwick gardens?"

"I mean to tell you, my lord, that I was gardening. Your groundskeeper has kindly kept aside a patch of earth for my private use." She looked at him out the corner of her eye. "You are not the only one with secret talents."

"It would seem so." He leaned back and she wondered if it was amusement or surprise she heard in his tone. "How have I not been informed of this? Ah, this explains the suggestive little gift I was left last night."

"Same way I imagine I had no inkling of your penchant for oil painting, my lord." Nicola narrowed her eyes at the last statement. "Suggestive?"

"Yes, but I am the Marquess of Northwick, the groundskeeper is obligated to inform me of all alterations occurring on my properties. And, for Christ's sake, call me Jason already."

At that, she turned to him. Jason was lounging back casually now, one ankle crossed over his opposite knee, but his eyes were curiously alight as they had been studying the back of her head. "You sound put out," she teased. "Or perhaps your inflated opinion of yourself may encroach on our confined space too much and push us all off the balcony. You could also explain what is so suggestive about a pretty orchid."

His smile flashed across his face. "Such devious little words from those lovely lips," he murmured, eyes hooded, "I ought to drag you across my lap at your audacity for addressing me as such. Pretty, indeed."

"Jason!" Wildly, Nicola checked if her other companions had heard him, but they were still engrossed with their previous activity. Her face was aflame when she whipped around to give him a glare, but there was a pulse between her legs from his words and she pressed her thighs together as if to quell it. "You can't... I mean, you shouldn't..."