Behind the Veil

"If you don't feel like going Emaan then we can go back .No need to force yourself for something your heart is not adamant to do."

Emaan sighed unbuckling the seat belt before she said ,

"I have to do it for Safa's sake ."

Saying it ,Emaan glanced at Sana with tired eyes before passing a smile at her, she looked out at the house that dazzled as a bride as the fairy lights shimmered as if all the stars of galaxy had abandoned their celestial abode and were weaved like wreath over the house to celebrate the occasion of wedding of eldest daughter of the house . Gulping ,Emaan slid out of the car followed by Sana .

They walked inside the house when Atif along with other cousins walked out and seeing Emaan ,he leered at her lecherously making Emaan shiver and cower behind Sana holding her arms tightly. Sana glared at Atif who whistling at her walked out before cackling as he whispered something among his cousins.

Sana looked reassuringly at Emaan before asking ,

"Emaan, you alright ?"

Emaan nodded but fear shrieking in her eyes told otherwise .

"We could..." Sana couldn't complete as Emaan interjected imploring ,

"I am fine Sana..!"

Sana sighed before holding Emaan's hand on her arm tightly and nodding at her moved inside the house .

The house was as lively from inside as from outside .The hall was filled with some ladies with their hands outstretched having their hands donned with intricate designs while some relished exquisite delicacies along with gossiping and teasing the bride-to-be who sat at the centre with her both hands covered in henna .But as the eyes started noticing the two new members ,especially one ,the hustle and bustle of the house converted into whispers and suggestive gazes .Emaan shifted on her feet when Safa shouted ,

"Emaan ! Finally you are here .Come here sit with me .You too Sana !" Emaan and Sana smiling both went and whispering greetings sat next to Safa when Emaan noticed how the cousins sitting next to her moved away as she was some plague .She looked at them and following their gazes ,she looked towards ladies signalling their daughters to move away from her .

Emaan felt a deep sadness course through her actualising in the form of hot tears which she immediately blinked back when she heard Safa ,

"Thank you so much Sana for bringing Emaan here .I thought I will get married without the presence of this Your highness".Emaan smiled at her .

Soon ,Sana got busied with getting mehendi done on her backside of her hand while Emaan was waiting for her turn when a girl passing by them stumbled and fell on Emaan, staining her Abaya with her henna .Excusing herself ,Emaan walked towards washroom ,when passing by kitchen she heard her Rabia Phupho ( paternal aunt ),

"Sumbul Aapi! Why have you got this Emaan here ? We don't want our girls to become shameless like her !"

(Aapi - Big sister)

Emaan's feet froze on their spot while shards pierced through her heart perforating magma of agony charring everything even her soul with an unbearable pain.

"Who would be stupid enough to invite her other than my foolish daughter Safa! ".

"But looking at her no one could tell she would turn out to be such a characterless girl !. Wearing Abaya in gatherings and hijab always wrapped around her in such a way as if she is very pure as if we don't know her ugly reality .Girls like these externally they are something else and inside they are worse than snakes .You only tell she must have given some hints to Atif that Atif went astray and did something like that ". Rabia commented bitterly.