Fragment

Chapter Eleven: Fragment

fragment: an isolated or incomplete part of something

~*~

"What happened to you and Yoonmi?" Baekhyun asked, realizing that Jongdae was sitting with them at lunch. The brunet responded with a shake of his head, avoiding the raven-haired boy's eyes. Baekhyun looked to the others for help but they shrugged. Sighing, he tapped Jongdae's shoulder and gestured for the younger male to follow him. With a pout, Jongdae got up and went with Baekhyun.

When the brunet reached out to support Baekhyun, the older male quickly stepped away, "Dont touch me. I'm fine."

I'm not weak, stop treating me like I am.

Jongdae muttered an apology before keeping his hands by his side. Keeping his head high Baekhyun asked, "What happened?"

"Things didn't work out," Jongdae said simply.

"But you two looked so happy!" Baekhyun whipped around to face Jongdae, stopping in his tracks. Baekhyun asked, "Did you want me to find another girl? Or are you ready to come back to me?"

Weird how you put it like that.

Still, the brunet didn't reply. Baekhyun couldn't possible be serious. He had undergone so many incidents, yet he was still offering to help? Why? Averting his gaze to the concrete flooring of the high school, Jongdae asked quietly, "Are you ready enough to resume?"

Baekhyun pursed his lips, eyes slightly narrowed, "Stop doing that. I don't need your pity."

With a thin smile, Jongdae slapped Baekhyun on the good arm, "Who said I was pitying you? I thought you knew me well enough by now."

That was when Baekhyun realized he had been too hard on his friend. The looks and the way everyone had been treating him at school made him sick. They were treating him like a lost, injured puppy. Half of them weren't even sincere. But Baekhyun should have known that with Jongdae, every concern was genuine. Even so he didn't want the help the brunet offered him. Baekhyun could manage by himself. Baekhyun nodded, "I am if you are. Just keep the fact that the well is only open for you a secret. I don't want people flocking around me."

The brunet blinked once, twice, before cracking a smile, "Is that your request, Baekhyun?"

"Oh, please. Spare me," the raven-haired male rolled his eyes. Chuckling afterward, he extended his left arm and gently guided the brunet alongside him. "I won't fail you, Jongdae. I haven't failed any of my wishers before and I'm not starting now. Especially not with you."

At least he lets me near him.

Jongdae glanced curiously at Baekhyun, mentally frowning once the raven-haired boy dropped his arm back to his side. "Why especially not with me?"

Am I special to you?

"Because... you're my friend. My friends always come before other strangers. Not to mention we became friends because of your dilemma and need for assurance. I would look and feel bad if I were to fail you."

"How will you know if you failed me or not? Am I supposed to grade your effort?"

"They day you determine your sexuality is the day I succeed."

The two kept quiet as they entered the lunch room, respectively taking their seats side-by-side across from the other three.

Kyungsoo glanced at one to the other, "Why does Jongdae look so happy and Baekhyun look like himself? Did you guys have a quick sex session while you were gone?"