8. Let's start over

SCARLETT

My phone buzzed, causing my heart to somersault for the millionth time. I knew that I was the one that ran out on Callum, but every time someone tried to reach me, I wondered if it was him getting in touch. After all, not many people had my current number, seeing as I was trying to keep a low profile. But all of my messages and calls recently were from Riley, and the latest text was no exception.

It had been three days since I last saw Callum and I was feeling anxious, like some hidden voice inside my head knew to expect his call. I couldn't really explain the fascination and attraction I had for that man, both of which had somehow flared up since our random evening together.

The tiny phone buzzed again. I scrolled through Riley's messages, hoping that they were going to distract me. Sadly, it didn't work. As a matter of fact, it had the opposite effect- I found myself thinking about Callum yet again. My head jiggled in the desperate hope of shaking him out of my thoughts. Who was I kidding- it didn't work before and it was not going to work now either.

I contemplated a number of times during the past days whether to tell Riley about my bizarre evening with her friend and about the damn tattoo, finally deciding against it- she seemed to have enough on her plate and she still hadn't told me about her mystery man. But she was radiating happiness, so I did not want to bother her.

The doorbell rang and I rushed over to the main entrance to grab the food I had ordered. When I opened the door, it was not the delivery man I saw, even if my surprise visitor was holding my food.

"Hungry, Flame?" A little cocky smirk appeared on his face as he lowered the bag so that it was right in front of his crotch. Prick!

Yet, to my surprise, I found myself running my tongue over my lower lip before my teeth sunk into it as I tried to suppress an involuntary sigh of appreciation.

What the hell is wrong with me?

It was like my body had a mind of its own and that mind wanted Callum Andrews. Right here, right now.

"Oh, it's you." I shrugged, trying to sound as uninterested as possible, even though I could hear my heartbeat quicken with every step closer to this gorgeous man. Every fibre of my body was pulsating, like they were calling out to him, inviting him to touch me, to trace my skin with his fingertips or, even better, with his lips.

He laughed heartily, which stirred something in me- almost like I wanted to...punch him.

"If I didn't know better, I would have thought that you are unhappy to see me, Flame." His eyes searched for mine but I was not going to give him the satisfaction of establishing eye contact.

Nope. No way.

Instead, I rolled my eyes as far back as I could.

"What makes you think it's not the case?"

"Well, for starters," he moved closer to me, his face just mere inches away from mine, "your whole body seems to hum the nearer I get."

Ugh. Why couldn't he be one of those unobservant men who did not even notice when a woman got a new haircut?

"Wow, that's one way to flatter yourself but I am just cold," I lied through my teeth, hoping I sounded convincing enough to him.

When his cocky grin grew even wider, I knew that I was in trouble. "Is that so?"

The warmth of his breath caressed my neck like a feather in a way that made my skin erupt in thousand tiny goosebumps, just as my legs clenched together.