The Nightmare Begins

Rhysand

I thought we'd be safe.

I thought we still had time.

At first, there was only a small tug on the bond. Nothing too alarming, but something I always paid attention to. I knew she was awake, just not why. Then, a second and stronger pull could be felt. My questions were answered when I heard my mate's scream.

It rang in my head as her mental shields fell. If I didn't know any better, I could have sworn she was standing right next to me in the library of the day court.

"Rhys."

"He's coming."

"Cauldron, it's happening."

"NOW!"

My heart nearly lept out of my chest as panic seized me. Helion had just walked back into the room with a tray of food and tea when I stood up. Though it was the middle of the night, neither of us had gone to bed. More than once, I insisted he go rest, but he stubbornly decided to stay up with me. I rose with such haste that a loud noise resonated in the room as my chair fell back.

"You're paying if that's broken." Helion set the tray on the table, giving me a questioning look.

"Feyre," My voice cracked. "She's in labour."

"Shit," Was the only word the High Lord of the Day court mustered to say. My eyes searched the room as I calculated which exit would be the fastest to lead me to the sky. I let my wings spring free. The High Lord must have been about to say something, but I cut him off.

"Helion, I'll pay for this later." Without waiting for his reply, I smashed through the nearest window. The glass shattered against me, but I used my arms to cover my face from the impact. As soon as I was falling, I let my wings carry me across the sky and flew home. The last thing I saw was the dumbfounded look on Helion's face.

Feyre

The pain shot through my legs. It was worse than anything I had ever felt. Worse than anything I could have fathomed.

Mor had been the first to come see me when she heard my scream. Having been given the responsibility of my safety, I doubt she was even sleeping. 

Both Elain and Amren had also woken from the commotion and rushed over to my room. Lately, Amren had been staying over at the house instead of her apartment to help keep an eye on me.

"What's going on?," She asked in a breathless tone that indicated she had ran from her room.

"I need to get Majda!," Mor responded instead before looking to my sister who had just appeared in the doorframe. She looked as pale as a ghost. "Elain, help look after her until I get back!"

"Is it the babe? Is it coming?," Elain asked fearfully.

I heard Amren speak next.

"It's too early!"

"I know that!," Mor interjected, grabbing a coat. "I won't be long."

It was difficult to follow their messy conversation when my mind was clouded with pain and worry. The only thing I wanted, needed, was my mate.

Rhys. Hurry. 

There was no telling how much time I had. I didn't want to die alone. Not without seeing him one last time.

"Where is he?," I shouted with the next contraction.

"He'll be here. He'll be here," Amren whispered as she brushed some strands of hair that had stuck to my forehead due to sweat. For the first time since I'd met her, Amren seemed in distress. Long gone was the emotionless face she wore.

"Amren, you were right," I said weakly as my sister wiped my forehead with a cold towel. 

"I always am, but what am I right about this time?"

"We were romantic fools," I breathed out.

"Why are you saying this?" My friend's brows furrowed.

It felt like an easy thing to do at the time. The bargain we made, attaching our lives together. I knew for certain that if anything happened to Rhysand, I would want to leave this world as well. He must have felt the same, because he accepted the bargain without a moment of hesitation. We'd both experienced losing each other. Both of us were aware of that feeling of emptiness, and silence. It was another form of death. I never ounce doubted our decision. Yet, in what I thought would be my last moments, panic struck me.

With a sob I said, "I don't want him to die. I don't want him to die."