The Day Of

Feyre

Mor had sensed my restlessness the next day. Rhysand had left early in the morning and I was left pacing around the house.

"Come on, enough brooding," Mor said as she found me gazing outside the window. To keep my mind off everything, she prepared a picnic by the river near our home.

____________

"Have you picked out a name yet?", Mor asked, trying to push her golden locks out of her face as the wind messed with it.

"You've asked me that a hundred times already." I tore a sandwich that Elain had made us in two and plopped one piece into my mouth.

With a whining voice, Mor said, "Because you won't tell me!"

"You'll know soon enough."

"If you weren't with child, I'd tackle you until you told me," My cousin-in-law huffed, laying down on the blanket we had spread out on the grass. If I didn't know any better, I would have said she was a reincarnation of the sun. The light that helped pull me out of the depths of the shadows. A friend. Something I'd never had.

I could still feel her warm embrace the first time I met her. Nobody had ever hugged me so effortlessly. My shock was less due to the hug, but rather from the sincerity behind it. Everything felt cold then. But when her arms were around me, it felt exactly like laying on the grass with the sun beaming down on you.

"If I weren't with child, we wouldn't be having this conversation which meant you'd have no reason to tackle me," I pointed out with a smirk.

"My cousin's snarky replies are rubbing off on you too much." Mor rolled her eyes and turned to lay on her stomach. She was a warrior. I knew after having fought alongside her during the war when we helped the Summer court. Yet, seeing her so carefree, lying lazily, it was hard to remember. The dress she wore was the same shade as the rubies Tarquin had sent us after our little stunt. The back of the dress plunged down her spine, revealing her flawless skin.

"I hope you know how much I love you, Mor." I found myself blurting out. My cheeks flushed as red as her dress.

The golden Goddess before me opened her eyes and furrowed her brows.

"Why does that sound like some sort of goodbye?" She lifted herself up on her forearms. "I don't want to hear declarations of love when you're looking at me like you're about to cry."

I blinked away the tears I hadn't realised had formed.

"Can't I tell my best friend that I love her? You can't blame a pregnant female for being emotional!" I straightened my spine and smiled, sticking out my tongue.

__________

As the rest of the day went by, I heard little news of Rhysand. The bond between us was as silent as my cell under the mountain. Probably busy researching, I told myself. Even with the silence, I still felt his presence; the way our souls connected. That was how I knew he was okay.

After taking a bath and drinking a cup of tea Elain had made for me, recommended by Majda, I laid in bed. Just as I closed my eyes, a familiar voice purred in my mind.

"Good evening, Feyre Darling." I smiled at nothing in particular.

"You didn't come home," I replied, even though a part of me knew how obsessive he would get. He never came home on the first day when he visited Helion.

"I know. It was getting late and I wanted to finish reading a book I found."

"Come home."

"I'll be back before you wake up. I promise."

There was a pause before he spoke again.

"I miss you too."

"I know. Just don't be too big a pain in Helion's ass." His chuckle echoed in my ears.

I moved over to his side of the bed which had traces of his scent.

"I make no promises, darling. Now go to sleep. Our son is probably tired."

"Our son is just fine. His mother takes great care of him."

"I know she does. Her mate worries too much."

"He certainly does."

"Helion is giving me the stink eye for having such a long private talk with you. I think he's jealous he's not included."

I let out a snort, picturing the High Lord sulking in his seat.

"Alright, go keep your friend company. It's very rude to have secret conversations."

"Good night, my love," Rhys spoke quietly. I felt him smiling down the bond before it closed off. I fell asleep almost as quickly as I closed my eyes.

_________

I had only gotten three, maybe four, hours of sleep when I felt a jab in my sides. I jolted awake and immediately sat up. My hands reached for the bump on my stomach. I tried to reassure myself that it was just the baby kicking. It hadn't been the first time I'd felt uncomfortable or I'd been woken up. For a few blissful moments, there was nothing. I was about to lay back down, but my relief was short-lived. With the second stab of pain, I knew.

I simply knew.

No.

No. No. No.

It was too soon. Two months too soon.

The temperature in the room seemed to have increased exponentially. I pulled the covers off me. That's when I looked down to find a wet mark on the sheets. It looked like water. My idiotic, still half asleep, mind wondered if I had spilled anything before going to bed. Only when I felt the dampness between my legs did the answer come to me. It was my water. Panic settled in me and with the third cramp, I screamed.