Chapter 4: A Helping Hand

As the brotherhood assembled in front of him, Lisbon noted they were seated in the same order they had when the election of the 5th Decree took place. He watched the faces of those who were most visible where he stood. Hiroto held his brooding face, Tadashi was speaking to a group of brothers behind his seat, Safiy looked calm and sat patiently whilst Sosuke sat turned to face the entire brotherhood. His eyes roamed over the room. 

No, doubt making sure everyone is here, Lisbon thought. 

The cave was packed and all the brothers had been instructed to wear their robes as per custom in important events like this one.  Lisbon felt his heart race. They were once here and some of them voted for me. They trusted me, he thought wistfully. Were they now disappointed thinking they elected a killer? Or did they still have even a tiny spark of faith in him? 

The last thought sent a warm feeling all over him, but as soon as he saw the voting booth set up behind The Oracle's and the empty High Priest seat it faded. 

They should have voted for the High Priest by now, he thought. 

Yes, but finding out the High Priest and some brothers were murdered and by a member of the 5th Decree, convinced them to deal with this first, a voice said in his head. 

But I didn't do it, he retorted. 

Well then, guess you have to do your best to convince them of that don't you? 

He sighed and watched as The Oracle stood up and raised his hands for silence. The room fell quiet.

"Now," he said his voice deep and firm. "Most of you already know why we are gathered here at this very moment. This is a trial for the murders of the High Priest, members of the 5th Decree; Haruto and Soshi and Ken who was working in the medical rooms as a doctor. Previously, we believed Haruto and Soshi had died in a car accident, but new evidence shows that heart failure caused by a poison may have caused Soshi who was driving to lose control of the car. The same poison was discovered in Haruto's body. Standing in front of you now is Arata, the accused. Upon finding disturbing circumstantial evidence in his room, the leaders of the High Order voted for a trial. Now evidence gathered against him will be brought forward by Tadashi. Later Arata will be allowed to defend himself and be further questioned by the Keeper of Scrolls. If any of you have questions for him you may ask when permitted. If found guilty, Arata faces execution. We will start the trial with Tadashi bringing forward evidence against the accused."

He beckoned Tadashi to stand, and as he sauntered to where The Oracle was a murmur among the brothers grew. Lisbon looked at the ground in front of him his jaw clenched in determination. If whoever was framing him was watching him right now, he did not want to give him the satisfaction of seeing him weak. He listened attentively to Tadashi retelling the story of how he had been voted to investigate alongside Lisbon and Ken after they found out that the High Priest had been poisoned. 

From the counting table he brought a familiar box with him, and Lisbon's jaw clenched tighter. It contained the so-called murder tools that had been found in his room. Forcing himself to look up, he watched the others staring intently as the items were brought out once more. Just as he was about to look back down he noticed some heads had turned to face him. He kept his expression neutral and used all his will to hold their gaze.

The Oracle stood and gestured Tadashi to take a seat. He nodded politely and shuffled to his seat.

"We have heard the events that occurred from Tadashi's account. Now it is time for Arata to tell us his version."

Lisbon looked up and felt a feeling of dread as all heads had turned to regard him now. He straightened and looked around the room, and then he spoke.