Chapter 1: In the Beginning

The world was in a new age, led by the secret society of the High Order of Monks. All the world leaders were members and appointed by the society itself. A process that took a week with the 5th Decree locked up in a secret room deciding who would take up the task of being the leader of the most powerful country in the world. It was mere politics.

Democracy and freedom of the common folk was almost forgotten. The new power was the only body in charge of the entire world.

They were the government, the police, the health department and the friendly next door neighbor. Even the most basic resources were controlled by them. The world of the common folk however, was kept in the dark about it all. To them, the world had not changed. The rumors of a growing powerful secret society taking over the world were no more than stories that crazy freedom fighters told them to frighten them.

Day in and day out on the side of the roads with banners and placards warning of a looming danger, they shouted and chanted and danced on the streets. They were on the news; they were always on the news. It got violent every time the police stepped in, teargas and spraying them with water. The crowds would disperse just to gather somewhere else again the very next day without the slightest show of discourage.

A nuisance they were, some said. The world was always troubled, and there was always someone out there with a scary story to tell. It had been done before, Y2K, the Mayans' 2012, this was no different. Yet in the heart of the Ryusendo cave in Japan, only The Oracle knew the truth about where the world was headed, and how it all began...

Darkness had existed even before the First Men walked the earth. Soon after a rain of fire descended from the sky, the earth had changed. Some lands flourished and were rediscovered, whilst others faded into the background and seized to exist. They were not shown in any maps; there were no songs sung about them, nor any voyages made to explore them. A new world was formed and was oblivious to the parts of the earth that had existed before. 

A few however, in time had discovered this secret and kept it from the rest of the world. Whether their intentions of keeping it to protect the world were true or not were yet to be seen. The High Order of the Monks had been formed by the first civilized world to protect the ordinary men and women or common folk, from the truth of what existed beyond their lands. The brotherhood comprised of powerful leaders from all over the world. 

They secretly travelled around every corner of the world for years collecting large stores of knowledge and bringing it back to the Ryusendo Caves in Japan, where their headquarters were located. A large library existed in the caves and held books, artifacts and some say even ancient creatures that were not known or considered myths by the common folk. The library was supervised by the Keeper of Scrolls who was chosen according to their great affinity for books and mental strength especially in memory. 

It was unclear just how old the High Order was, but the oldest member, The Oracle, Taisei was very, very old. His existence was somewhat an enigma. He had been alive when creatures no one could dream of had roamed the earth. Although his age gave him the most experience, he was not necessarily the most powerful. Therefore he was never positioned as the High Priest who was the leader of the entire brotherhood. 

The Oracle's experience allowed him to be an administrator, while the High Priest made all the most important decisions that affected the brotherhood. The High Priest was chosen by the vote of the 5th Decree, who were five powerful members of the brotherhood and entrusted with most of the secrets and also served as advisors to the High Priest. The 5th Decree was chosen on specific skill sets mainly; combat, knowledge and spiritual strength. 

The High Order of Monks was not a religious sect. Their duties were outlined on the sacred vow that each member made when joining the brotherhood. They vowed to protect the earth with the sword, word and soul. Members of the brotherhood were allowed to marry, but were advised against revealing their membership to their families.