Life Part 2

This is the third house they break into. They haven't been very fortunate lately; with places they venture to lacking supplies and food. They have been driving for days away from their last shelter – a cabin buried deep inside the woods where they spent three months segregated from the rest of the world, relying on limited homegrown plants and lake water. When a horde of BEASTS began wandering in the woods and ambushed their cabin, they knew they had to flee. Luckily, they had a car to drive to the town to replenish their supplies before looking for the next appropriate shelter in a suburban area.

They have only managed to grab some cans of sardines and mushrooms from the previous two houses. This one is different though. Some windows on the ground floor are shattered but the door is surprisingly not broken. Shann picks the door lock to avoid making too much noise. He successfully turns the knob and leads his younger brother, Roy and his cousin, Akio into the vacant room. Most furniture has been kept the way as before, only with an added layer of dust. They each carry a large backpack and some weapons, their wrists and arms wrapped with thick layers of bandages to dodge the bites. They split up, deeming it more efficient that way. They only have two pistols and a rifle. They have left the rifle in the car with Shann's other siblings, Jun and May. Shann and Roy are the ones holding a pistol with only a few bullets. Akio is a skilful swordsman so he can wield two blade swords at a time. Their original plan is to stuff their bags within fifteen minutes, in case any of the BEASTS detects their presence and storm in. Then, they'll need to drive out of the neighbourhood and search for the closest Firearms & Guns. Shann decides to take the sitting room. He instructs Roy and Akio to take over the kitchen and the storage room respectively before they can proceed to the next floor.

'Be quiet, Roy,' hisses Shann as they rummage through different drawers. Roy has a habit of flinging open drawers, cupboards, cabinets and doors, making unnecessary noises in the midst of horror. He also likes to exclaim whenever he has fascinating findings.

Roy smiles apologetically and continues sweeping a few packets of crackers into his bag from the shelf. He knocks down a stainless bottle by accident, earning another vexed hiss from Shann. He has found some spaghetti and flour in the cabinet, some jam, butter, apples and thawed steak in the fridge. He basically wipes the entire kitchen clean and even grabs a Butcher's knife just in case.

Shann has little luck in the sitting room. He manages to find a lighter and some cigarettes on the coffee table, a few candies in the jar. Akio, on the other side of the house, finds a first-aid kit and immediately unzips his bag to put it in.

They gather in the sitting room and peek out of the windows. Jun's black car is still parked out there, a block away and there is not a soul in sight. They decide to go further and scoot upstairs. They break into different bedrooms and grab what they need – some clean clothes for changing, blankets and perhaps snacks. Roy opens a towering wardrobe and gasps when a pile of crates falls on him, not realising that one of them contains a glass figurine and it shatters upon landing. He staggers back and knocks down a metal bin.

'You're making too much noise,' whispers Akio, glaring at Roy. 'Stop getting us killed.' He has emptied a cupboard of some biscuits and gum from the next room.

Roy apologises and shrugs. Akio sighs and decides to call for a retreat. Just as Roy and Akio are about to notify Shann in another room, a loud bang wafts from downstairs.

Roy dashes towards the stairs and pops his head out, eyes widening as two...no...three THINGS stick their heads in through the broken door. Johan and Mateo storm in first.

'They're here!' cries Roy and he starts to load his pistol. He fires at the two THINGS from the distance and much to his terror, these two are exceptionally agile and fast. They dodge his shots and race towards him.