Clay Marble Short Story

I could smell the soft, clean steamy white rice that we have everyday from the living room, along with the smell of meat stew that has been freshly made. Tonight, the whole family is coming over and we are having a big dinner. My cousins, Aunt Nea, Uncle Sarun and grandma do not come often. That’s because we cannot afford this feast every day. The Vietnamese-Cambodian war had just ended about a decade ago. Life is still a little bit difficult but it is better now. Even though it has been about a decade since the war, many people are still rebuilding their lives. The war had lasted for over ten years and had badly impacted everyone’s lives. My family are one of the lucky ones. My mother, Aunt Nea, Uncle Sarun, and grandma, ha returned to our village in Siem Reap before the war had ended. Every once in awhile, we see broken families returning to this village.

Snapping out of my daydream, I heard my father calling my name to open the door for the family. Excitedly, I packed up all the clay figures that my mother had taught me how to make. I decided to ask mother to tell me the story of how her and father had met and had got together. I had always loved that story since I was a baby. Reaching for the door handle, I heard Champei (my favourite cousin) shout from outside my name and for me to open the door for her, her parents, siblings and grandma! As soon as I opened the door, I was welcomed with a big hug from her. I welcomed them into my home, turning my back, I saw father coming in his wheelchair. I remember father telling me that he lost his legs during the Vietnamese-Cambodian war. He had unknowingly stepped on a landmine when he was walking around in the fields. Boom! Just like that, he had lost his legs. Nonetheless, mother and I, and along with the rest of the family love him just as much as if he did have legs.

“So, Dantu, what do you want us to do for your birthday coming up? After all you’re turning fourteen.” Rith asked, giving me a warm smile at the end. He was Champei’s older brother, and twin brother of Kosal. They were seventeen, three years older than Champei and I. Both Rith and Kosal were very tall so each time Champei and I talked to them; we would have to look up a bit. Champei is the same age as me but still a little bit taller than me. Looking up at Rith, I returned a smiled and replied. “I don’t want anything special for my birthday. I just want to spend the day with the whole family enjoying, eating simple foods and playing. That’s all I want for my birthday.” Just when Rith was about to say something, Kosal came into the living room to tell us that dinner was ready. I had been thinking so much and not being observant at all, that I didn’t even realise that everyone was not in the living room anymore, only Rith and I were left.

        Dinner was wonderful; the rice was delicious along with the meat stew. Not even one grain of rice was left. Getting up from my chair, I collected all the plates and brought them into the kitchen. Mother and Aunt Nea were already inside starting to wash some of the dishes. Putting the plates down on the small table, I decided to ask mother if she would tell me the story before I fell sleep tonight. “Mother?” I asked. “Yes Dantu?” she replied. “Mother, after everyone has left, can you please tell me the story of how you and father met and got together?” I questioned her. “Sure Dantu.” mother replied giving me a warm motherly smile. “Thank you so much mother!” I happily jumped up and gave her a big hug. With that, I happily skipped out of the kitchen.

        When I reached the living room, I saw that father was sitting on the couch talking to Uncle Sarun. I quietly sat next to father and leaned against him. He put his arm around me in a fatherly manner and I sat there quietly watching everyone talking or playing. Soon mother and Aunt Nea joined us in the living room and started to have conversations with grandma.

        Time passed quickly and everyone had to leave. The family lived on the opposite side of the road to us. Their house was just right next to the crop fields. Grandma lived with Uncle Sarun’s family but she sometimes comes and visits. After waving goodbye to everyone, I quickly got ready for bed so that mother could tell me their story.

        Soon I was in bed and mum peeped inside the room to see if I was ready yet. She came in and pulled a stool to next to the hammock I was sleeping in.

“Remember how I told you the reason why I made clay marbles and figures?” She asked. “Yes. It was because of Aunty Jantu right? My name is a mix of your name with Aunty Jantu’s name.” I replied. “Yes that’s right. Now let’s see, do you want to hear the story from the beginning or just when me and your father met?” she asked. Smiling at her I replied back “Can you please start from how and when you and father met?” “Of course my dear Dantu.” She replied back with a warm motherly smile. Taking a short deep breath she started the story.

            “Well, it all started when Baby, your Aunt Jantu’s brother was badly injured because of a bombing. The paramedics had to take him to the hospital right away for treatment. I went back to find our family. After some ups and downs, I along with Chnay had found our family. It took a while before I could go to the hospital to see Baby and Jantu. Your Aunt Nea wanted to follow as well because Jantu was her cousin. It took a while before we could find Baby and Jantu. It was when we met them again; that your father and I met, there in the children’s hospital. At that time, I felt sorry and sad for your father. I felt that I had some sort of connection with him, but at that time I did not know it was love. I just ignored it. When I saw the condition your father was in, I felt sad for him. He could not return to his family. He did not even know whether his family was still a live at that time. Before I had left the hospital with your Aunt Jantu, Aunt Nea and Baby, I had befriended your father. I knew that after the war I would visit your father when I got a chance. It was a while after I had returned back here; to the village that I had decided I would go back to the hospital to visit your father. Not remembering how to go back to the ward that your father was in, I walked around the different wards. It was not long when I had finally found your father.”

            Out of nowhere, I suddenly yawned loudly. “Dear Dantu, how about I finish the story some other time? You already know the story anyways. If you would like, I could continue where I left off tomorrow night okay?” Mother asked dearly. It was getting to my favourite part I was just too tired. Reluctantly I nodded in response. “Okay then. Good night my dear. Sleep well.” Mother understandingly replied back softly then kissing my forehead.  I watched her switch off the lights and walk out of the door, closing it lightly behind her. I quickly fell into dreamless sleep.