Chapter 3

1 day after Mark gets his powers

You awoke the next morning to Nolan, fully dressed in his Omni-Man suit. "Rise and shine, y/n! You still want to watch Mark and I train, don't you?" You sat up without hesitation. "Of course I do." Your voice was still groggy, and overall the feeling of sleepiness gripped you as you got up from the couch, collecting your bag and heading over to the bathroom. After you got ready, you met up with Mr. Grayson outside, and soon after, Mark as well. Due to his cape, Nolan couldn't give you a piggyback ride, so he had to carry you bridal style.

"Welp, goodbye dignity. It's been good having you." Nolan rolled his eyes as he shifted his hold on you. "It's not that bad." You went limp in his arms. "No- it's horrible, Mr. Grayson! I have a reputation to uphold!" Holding a hand out above you like the dramatic character you are, acting out the death of your "dignity," you fake cried. Mark laughed, only for his father to smile and quirk a brow. "Well, when you're done "grieving," hold on tight." You sat up. "Why's that?" The question was answered for you as he shot up in the air, you letting out a yell as you gripped onto him. Once at a healthy roaming altitude, you caught your breath, trying to keep yourself from panicking. "Not. Cool." You practically growled as Omni-Man looked down to his son. "Come on, Mark! I have a spot picked out for us." Mark took a deep breath before jumping up from the ground, launching himself towards you and Nolan. The two of them then set off, your grasp unrelenting as you kept holding onto whatever you could.

Omni-Man got straight into the lesson, starting with the feeling of flying, since they were already in the air. He looked back to see Mark's sloppy flying. "It's kinda like how you walk, and you don't think about balancing anymore, but when you were a baby, you did. You're a baby flier right now. You have to focus on staying upright, focus on going the direction you want to go." He watched as Mark fumbled through flying, trying to keep himself steady. "Understand?" Mark wobbled for a moment, but was able to get himself comfortable and stable. "Yeah, I think I got it." Nolan, after watching Mark, replied, "It doesn't look like you do." He then turned, flying off in another direction, further into the rolling fields that he had chosen to train Mark in.

Mark had trouble keeping up, muttering a small, "No, no-" as he tried to follow. Omni-Man backed up, offering another piece of information. "You can wear yourself out flying. Moving fast is like tensing a muscle. You're much better off if you relax that muscle from time to time, and using the momentum you're building to carry you forward." Mark was now at his father's side, with his hands out in front of him, boosting himself further ahead. Omni-Man, frowning, flew forward to catch up. "Okay, you don't want to fall, so you're gonna have trouble relaxing. It's kind of like peeing your pants on purpose." You laughed, while on the other hand Mark looked at his dad as if he were crazy. "What?" The both of you had exclaimed, but in varying tones. "Peeing your pants on purpose." Nolan confirmed. "You know, you spend your whole life trying not to pee your pants, so letting go- peeing your pants on purpose- it's next to impossible." Mark held a bewildered look. "How do you know this? Who would try that?!" You thought about it for a moment, and unable to hold back your grin, you agreed. "I mean, it makes sense when you think about it." Mark gave you a mean look, while Nolan nodded approvingly. "See? Also, you are far better than you should be. Late night practice? Is that why you're so tired?" Mark's frown shifted onto his father. "Don't try to change the subject." His voice was a little shaky. Nolan, scanning the area below him, nodded to a spot in the field. "Land over there." He began to make his way down, careful to keep you steady as Mark tried to fly down behind him.

You saw as Mark flew down past you, flying much faster than his father. Nolan, sped up, trying to keep up to an extent. "Slow down." Mark's concern grew, and his speed only increased. Luckily for you, Omni-Man kept at the speed he was already going. "Land. I said land! Why aren't you slowing down?" Mark's concern turned into fear. "I can't!" You watched him fall in a dive, your panic for your friend catching up to you. "Mark?!" Nolan watched as his son continued to speed up. "Stop. Just stop!" You heard Mark yell, and for a moment you felt yourself ready to jump from Mr. Grayson's arms. He held you tight of course, raising a brow. "What are you doing?" You took a breath. "I'm concerned, okay?" Your head spun back towards the ground as you heard a thundering bang. Mark had collided with the grass and dirt, a small crater around him. "Holy shit!" Omni-Man made his way towards his son, reassuring you. "He's fine, y/n. What happened to him is similar to a baby falling over while trying to learn how to walk. It's natural." That definitely helped reassure you, but you still couldn't peel your eyes away from Mark's laying form. "Oh, well okay then. Whatever you say"