Chapter 7: Damien- More Or Less, 'Like' ^^

“Damien?” Akira's clear, ringing voice broke me out of my daytime haze.

“Hm?” I came back to life, blinking rapidly over the steak I was tenderizing.

“Whew,” he smiled brightly as I stared at him in awe. “I thought you'd never get that zombie-look out of your eyes!”

Immediately, Mr. Happy came to attention and I was suddenly grateful that I had my hips leaning against the counter, covering my need.

“Thanks,” I said in a raspy tone as I started marinading the large slab of beef.

“So,” Akira started talking. “I met this girl in my new cla-”

I zoned out accidentally as I peered into his deep, soulful eyes.

“Felicia, yeah, that was her name. And she-” a few of Akira's distant words reached my distracted ears and I caught on to what he was actually saying.

“You met Felicia?” my eyes widened as I realized what he must have been trying to say.

“Yeah,” he gave me a playfully disapproving look as he leaned his slim hip against the table. “You should really pay attention when somebody is speaking with you.”

“Sorry,” I whispered and gave him a wink. “So what were you saying about my sister?”

His eyes widened like an innocent puppy and I had to stifle a groan at the blood pumping into my lower abdomen. Could I ever see him in a different light?

“She's your sister?” Akira sounded slightly surprised.

“Yes, you didn't know that?”

“Well, you guys do look alike, I mean she's just as pretty as you-” he stopped all of a sudden, turning a rosy-red at what he'd just said.

The tempting vision of Akira's shiny teeth biting his bottom lip, made me want to jump him right then and there. How could a childish act which could have looked gay on another, look so erotic on him?

“Ah, it's time to barbeque it now,” he spoke shyly as the alarm signaling the cook time, rang.

And the rest of FACS passed in silence between us two.

Great, just great. I thought, chewing on the evenly cooked meat. I've lost a nice friendship between me and a guy I... How did I feel about him? Liked, I decided. All because the topic of my strange sister came up.

The bell would ring in a few minutes and students all around me hovered to their baggage, putting their dishes away.

I sighed as I watched Akira's gentle figure round clumsily to the sink. Would things go back to the way they were on Monday? Or would he continue to keep his distance?

When I came up to the sink, behind Akira, I saw his chastened gaze drop to the floor. We stood like that for about 5 seconds until the bell's crude ringing interrupted our interlude.

I walked past him silently and hurriedly cleaned my dish and utensils.

Expecting the room to be empty, I turned with clean hands to find Akira leaning against the class doorway.

“I'll see you tonight at dinner?” his voice was quiet and calm, but I could feel the tension behind his mask.

Yet I brightened up at the thought of him being near me after school. “Of course!” I said all too eagerly.

He nodded soberly with a slight smile and walked away, his backpack slung over his left shoulder.