Chapter 4: Akira- Camaraderie

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep...

The sound of a machine woke me up like an alarm clock. Blood rushed to my head and I was hit by vertigo. I felt like I had just woken up from a hangover.

All could see was blurred shapes and colors. Besides the beeping and the thumping in my head, there was complete silence.

As I came to, about a million questions clouded my brain. Where am I?Why is everything white? How did I faint? What is that stink?

But soon, I discovered that there was somebody beside me...watching my every move.

His stare pierced my eyes.

The strange guy wouldn't look away, but I wasn't going to lose this stare-down.

We sat there, watching each other for a few seconds until I couldn't take the suspense anymore.

“Who are you?” I asked, dying of curiosity yet burning from the feeling of nervousness.

He stared a bit more until I heard a reply. “I'm...Damien...”

His name didn't ring a bell.

Other than him, the only color in the room was coming from the small window. Damien wore a gray t-shirt and a black, collared sweater. I could tell he wasn't an ordinary kind of person by the way he stared intensely at me with his cat-like black eyes. His skin was pale...Paler than mine! Thin lips, a straight nose, and rough, almost shoulder-length, dark brown hair.

I had a hard time admitting it, but he'd probably beat me in a 'whose-more-handsome' competition.

“Where am I? How did I get here?” I asked, craning my head to look around. Everywhere I looked, all I saw was white. White sheets, white T.V, white couch, and even a picture of an albino doctor...creepy...

“You don't remember what happened?” Damien questioned me, still looking my way as he got up and walked to the windowsill.

“Can you please stop staring at me? Seriously, I can't tell if you're answering my questions or interrogating me,” my head was starting to hurt from the yelling but he really needed to take his eyes off of me. I mean, I know I'm a beautiful guy, but staring for too long was just too much.

Damien's expression turned from vacant to interested in a flash.

He leaned against the wall and turned his gaze down. “You were almost hit by a blue van,” he glanced up at me with bored eyes. “Fortunately for you, my steering wheel went out of control and collided with the rear of the vehicle before it could hit you.”

As he spoke my head pieced together the whole scene. I was jogging to the store when I had seen a little girl being approached by a car. I'd pushed her behind me and faced the car's impact, but never felt it.

“Wait, then how did I get these injuries?” I asked, pointing to my head and uncloaked ankle.

“It's actually pretty stupid if you really want to know,” he sighed. “You tripped over a twisted ankle as you pushed the girl out of the way and fell, face first on the street.”

“Oh...” I said, disappointed. “I was actually hoping my injuries would be because of some type of great heroic thing I did...”

“Well that obviously wasn't the case,” Damien checked his wrist watch, smirking. “It's already 11:00.”

“Wait, I have school!” I yelled, my voice turning raspy as I got louder. “Get me out of this thing!”

I ripped off my blanket and was about to get up when I saw my body. “Ahh!” I screamed in horror.