09.

Kai hastily threw the covers over his small body and protectively snuggled his plush toy closer to his chest. He thought he would be able to trust Itadori now and maybe open up a little around him but what happening not only just set their relationship back to how it was in the beginning but made him fear Itadori. He didn't understand why that man was using Itadori's body and why he sounded different. 

There was a soft knock on the door and Kai already guessed that it was probably Megumi coming to check up on him like he usually did when Kai was upset or having another one of his panic attacks but to his surprise when the door slowly opened, it was Gojo standing there instead of Megumi.

The white-haired man stepped into the room with a small smile at Kai before shutting the door behind him and walking over to sit on the edge of Kai's bed. 

Kai scowled, burying his body deeper under his covers. 

"I understand that what you had to experience was terrifying, Kai," Gojo started to say. "It was my mistake for not explaining to you what exactly is happening to Itadori but I didn't think you would understand. You're still a kid-"

"I don't feel like a kid anymore," Kai sniffled, wiping away his tears. "I don't know how or what I'm supposed to feel," he stopped to let out a tiny sob, pushing his face into his toy. "I'm so scared. Itadori really scared me. I don't know what's happening. I don't understand."

"Kai, can you come out and look at me?" Gojo hesitantly asked, his tone gentle and filled with patience.

Kai shook his head despite knowing that Gojo couldn't see him. "I don't want to."

Gojo dropped a hand on top of where Kai's head was under the covers. "You know I would never do anything to you, Kai. It's just us in this room. Just me and you."

Kai trusted Gojo with his life and never doubted him. He was the reason why he was even still alive. If it wasn't for Gojo, he would have had the same dreadful fate as his parents. It was the first time he witnessed anyone with such extraordinary powers. Seeing that creature brutally devour his parents right in front of his eyes made him started to see life differently. 

He thought of things that a normal and healthy six-year-old child shouldn't be thinking about. He began to doubt his entire existence and wondered if it should have been him that the creature killed. After all, if it wasn't for his birth then maybe his parents would have been happier without him. His father wouldn't have grown to be abusive and violent. 

He truly missed his mom and even though his dad wasn't the kindest person, he wasn't always abusive and violent. There were times when he truly cared about Kai and actually treated him like his child.  He wondered if his father would have changed to become a better person if he survived. 

But, that didn't mean he would disregard everything that Gojo had done for him. Gojo gave him a home and place to feel something again. He treated him like family and took care of him. Gojo filled in the empty hole his parents left. 

Kai slowly slid the covers away from his body and moved to lay his head down on Gojo's lap. His fingers curling on top of Gojo's thigh whilst the other hand was squeezing his toy tightly. The best two things that comforted him in this world.