05.

Kai repeatedly swung his short legs back and forth, seated in a long black leather sofa opposite Gojo who was absentmindedly munching on his lunch whilst playing a game on his mobile phone—the sound effects filling the room. It was a room that always unoccupied and where Kai usually stayed with Gojo if he's wasn't holed up in his bedroom playing with his toys.

The blinds were slightly drawn, leaving space for sunlight to enter the room. A rectangular brown desk was positioned a few feet away from the windows with a black office chair pushed into the table and two matching black leather sofas were placed in the middle of the room facing each other with a glass coffee table in the middle. 

"Hm," Gojo breathed, directing his attention to the black-haired boy seated opposite him and waving his mobile phone in the air with one hand. "Megumi is still worried about you and asked if you're eating lunch with me."

Even though it felt as if it was hard to know what Megumi was thinking and the right things to say around him without being scared of accidentally ticking the teenager off, there were plenty of times that the older boy showed in his own way that he deeply cared for Kai. Most of the time it's not affection that is displayed openly but rather when it's just between the three of them. Megumi wasn't scared to show affection to Kai around Gojo.

Kai guiltily winced, his eyebrows furrowed and lips pursed. "Sorry for always troubling you both."

A thick silence flooded the room and Kai took a peek at Gojo to see that he had lifted up his blindfold—removing the black material from his face and revealing his strikingly blue eyes that unintentionally drew the six-year-old into his gaze.

"What are you even apologizing for?" Gojo softly reprimanded the younger boy, his lips tugging upwards into a fond smile. "You've never troubled us not even once. So don't ever think that, okay Kai?"

Gojo titled his head, his blue gaze emitting warmth that traveled through Kai's body and sent tingles all the way to his feet. 

"After all, you're family now."

Kai's eyes slowly widened, his breath hitching in his throat. Family? What was this lump he was feeling in this throat the sudden mention of the word? Is that how they considered him? As family? Not as a burden or bother? The heavy and constricting pain weighing down his heart was gradually beginning to lift and make space for the warmth that Gojo and Megumi gave him. 

The black-haired boy bowed his head, his shoulders trembling. Tears brimmed his eyes and the lump in his throat tightened. 

He didn't notice Gojo getting up from his side of the leather couch and plopping down beside Kai until he felt a strong arm gently pull him down to his lap. 

Kai balled his fists, smashing his face further into Gojo's lap and soaking the front of his trousers with his tears. 

"Kai, want some of my secret stash of sweets that I keep?" Gojo perked up, subtly trying to cheer the smaller boy up. 

Kai made a nose of indignation, curling up closer to the white-haired man. Right now, he just wanted to stay in Gojo's comfort for a little bit longer. Deep down inside, he always wondered if his dad would have changed and become a better person not just for him but mom. The image of the three of them beginning to act like a real family appeared in Kai's mind and he instinctively let out a sob.