27. How to Make Bad Choices

"We've confirmed something else, too

"We've confirmed something else, too." I gave Rebecca a long, meaningful look. "You are, without a doubt, completely out of your mind."

Because she was, of course. There was no way in Hell that I was supernatural. Stupid? Yes. Brilliant? Also yes. Resourceful? Without a doubt. But supernatural? Definitely not. Never-in-a-million-years. No.

Instantly, her smile faded. "Why won't you believe me? You follow logic, right?"

"On occasion." I folded my arms, the blankets crinkling with the movement. "I believe I run off of logic about fifty percent of the time. The other fifty, I follow my emotions, which is usually when I make bad decisions."

Rebecca raised an eyebrow. "Care to elaborate on that?"

No. But I held up my hand, putting up fingers as I listed events. "One, I was feeling confident enough to go after Ryker Marcel without backup. Two, I chose to help Opal and Kyle get away instead of saving my own skin. Three, I continuously allow your stupid Alpha to control me by constantly threaten Opal's life. And I allow it to work, because I can't stand the thought that she'd die because of me."

Her nose crinkled for a minute, thinking. "To have emotion is to be human," she finally said. "You can't spend your life with them shut off. Without emotions, who would you be?"

"I'd be able to get my job done without feeling guilty about anything." I briefly recalled my encounter with Isla - she was practically harmless, somebody who refused to kill a human for food. And I'd tried to kill her. I would have killed her, had those strange abdominal pains not arrived in the nick of time.

"Uh-huh. And what is your job, exactly?"

"To kill supernatural beings."

"Because...?"

For fuck's sake, where is she going with this? "Because without them, the world will be a hell of a lot of a better place. Humans will be free again. We can live without fear of being slaughtered or abducted - well, only by one another, but still, it would be better than it is now."

Oh, wait. I see. My entire crusade, my drive to make the world a better place by killing everything that moves at an inhuman speed, is driven by revenge. In other words, emotion.

Rebecca paused at my words, clearly finding something interesting in them. "Why don't you want to believe that you're supernatural?"

"Because I'm not."

"Why don't you believe it, Reese? Would being supernatural really be that awful?"

"Yes!" I shot out of the bed, my head spinning dizzily for a moment as I gained my balance. "I've spent seven years of my life hating supernatural beings for what they've done to the world. To my family. To me. I've spent three of those years hunting them down, feeding my revenge, bringing justice upon those who've brought everything to hell. And if after all this time, it turns out that I'm one of them? That I'm the very thing I've sworn to destroy? Where does that leave me?"