18. How to Aggressively Negotiate

"So

"So... what's your name?" I asked casually, strolling along next to the werewolf who was so generously escorting me to the Alpha.

She stayed silent, a small frown playing between her brows.

"Come on, wolfie." From what I'd gathered, this werewolf wasn't the smartest one in the pack, and she wasn't even that threatening. If I was still free, I wouldn't have bothered to target her. Sure, if she got in my way, I wouldn't hesitate to cut her from nose-to-tail, but if I randomly passed her in the street? My Hunter instincts probably wouldn't have even kicked in. "You know my name, right?"

"Of course I do," she snapped. "Every wolf in the pack knows your name now, Reese Hearne."

I grinned. "See? Since you know my name, it's only fair that I know yours."

She pursed her lips, though appeared to be mulling my words over.

Three...

Two...

One...

"Jennifer," she sighed. "My name is Jennifer."

"See, was that so hard?" I threw an arm around her shoulder. She flinched away from me. "You and I, Jenny, are going to be fantastic friends."

"I'm not going to be friends with you," Jenny-dear snarled. "You're a human."

"Technicalities," I waved her words off. "If you were a human, or if I, god-forbid, was a..." Shudder for effect... "Werewolf, we'd be joined at the hip."

Or not, my inner voice whispered. Didn't you despise girls like her? Dumb bitches, I believe Cedric used to call them?

Yeah, yeah. Just let me have my fun.

She marched me along in stony silence for a minute or two. Growing bored, I felt like asking the age-old question of, are we there yet?

"What's it like?" she finally whispered. "Being human?"

The question startled me. What was it like, to be human? Did she mean the human I was now or the human I was seven years ago? Honestly, the thought of being a normal human was something I'd dreamed about ever since the Takeover.

But in the years since that dreadful event, the definition of normal human has changed.

A normal human was oppressed. A normal human was terrified of supernatural beings. A normal human was used to being at the bottom of the social hierarchy and would do what they're told without question. A normal human had accepted the idea that the chances of them being snatched off the street, whether it be by a vampire looking for a Blood Bag or a werewolf willing to sell and enslave them, were very high.

I was a normal human, up until I saw the grass of Victoria Park stained red with my dad's blood. I was never the new definition. Normal humans know that being caught carrying a weapon is one of the stupidest things you can do nowadays. Normal humans don't go out in the middle of the night during a full moon and kill two werewolves.