Chapter Nineteen

Amanda's head was spinning in disbelief as the other two wolves moved to help their alpha against the grizzly-the grizzly bear who had to be Uncle Darren. But how?

Several thoughts raced through her mind, demanding her attention. How did he get here? Then . . . Uncle Darren can turn into a bear? She saw Connor in her mind, the day he first transformed for her. "You smell like kin to us," he'd said. Her thoughts were coming too fast. There was a buzzing in the back of her head, and she thought she was going to faint. Do NOT faint, she admonished herself.

One noise broke through the spell. One noise, almost too distant or too quiet for her to hear it, broke through to her conscious. It was Jay-crying weakly for help.

She whirled, casting about for location of his voice, and then ran full speed up the slope in front of her. At the next downward slope in a long, low valley, she spied them. They were on the river's bank. Jay was naked, on his back. The wolf that was Stanley straddled him. He had his jaws around half of Jay's face and neck. Blood already ran from several puncture wounds along his face and jaw. He struggled weakly, showing at least that he was alive.

"No!" Amanda screamed. She ran towards them, the buzzing starting in her head again. She had no idea what she would do when she got there. She had no weapon, no way of fighting a werewolf. She just knew she had to get there, had to save Jay, even if that meant running full throttle down the wolf's throat herself.

Stanley saw her coming, and he let Jay drop. He snarled and began to lope easily toward her.

Amanda's mouth was open, and she was screaming incoherently at the wolf. The buzzing grew, and the racing thoughts suddenly crashed over her.

Uncle Darren can change into a bear.

"You smell like kin to us."

She then saw Stanley in midair, coming straight for her, jaws gaping. Amanda's screams dropped two whole octaves. The wolf hit her full on the chest. Despite being nearly twice her size, the wolf bounced off and hit the ground. Amanda grunted from the shock of impact but did not fall.

Stanley sprang back to his feet in an instant, dashing toward her again, his jaws snapping viciously. Amanda still couldn't comprehend how she had thrown him off. Then as he came at her again, she swiped at him with her paw, long claws leaving a bloody gash on his side.

She stared at the paw, trying to figure out how it was connected to her. She fell on all fours. It was more comfortable, more natural than standing.

Revelation washed over her.

In a quick dash, she cleared the distance between herself and Jay. She bent over his form. He looked up at her, weak, his eyes mere slits, smiling. She licked the wound on the side of his face and then she straddled him, roaring at Stanley, defying him to come near her friend again. It was the last thing she remembered.

#

When Amanda woke up, she was lying face down in the grass. The sun was beating down on her back. The wind was cool, but she wasn't cold yet. She felt peaceful and calm.

Then memory rushed on her. She started to rise only to realize she was completely naked and not alone.

"She's starting to wake up," Connor's voice said from somewhere above her head.

Amanda craned her head around cautiously. Uncle Darren was sitting on the ground to her left. He was holding his utili-kilt wrapped around his waist. He grinned at her and said, "I need a new button." Next to him sat Valerie. She had her skirt on but pulled way up to cover her breasts and there was no sign of her shirt. She was looking up at Uncle Darren with a look that was filled with awe and heat.