Chapter Eleven

On Valentine's Day, Connor dropped the rather unnecessary hint that he had something for her.

"Only, I want to do it right," Connor said. He shrugged. "Somewhere romantic and stuff."

Somewhere romantic turned out to be behind the school grounds, at the very edge under a large maple tree. He told her he had asked their friends to stay back and give them some privacy. Amanda agreed to meet him after last period at the back door of the school. She carried under her sweater a cute little stuffed wolf that she and Jay had picked out last weekend. Jay was convinced that Connor would naturally love wolves if he loved the dagger she'd given him so much.

Connor hugged her when he saw her, his hand behind his back. "Let's go," he said.

"Connor, can I have a word?" a voice said just as they'd opened the door to head to the maple tree.

"Sure thing, Mrs. Hammers," Connor replied. To Amanda he said, "I'll just be a few minutes."

"No problem," she said.

The field behind the school was muddy with the melted snow. The weather was cool but not cold. She stood under the tree and waited. She would have sat but the ground was too muddy. She clutched the stuffed animal to her chest, hoping he would like it.

She heard the roar of a motorcycle engine. We are all sooo impressed by your loud motor, she groused to herself. We think you are so freaking cool.

Then suddenly the motor stopped and she heard footsteps coming her way. She looked up and saw a huge man coming toward her. He was wearing heavy combat boots, faded blue jeans, and a denim jacket with the sleeves torn off, revealing muscles and heavy tattoos. His eyes were dark and angry, his face weathered and lined with scars. His lips were curled into a sneer, and he was staring right at her.

She turned to flee back across the school grounds but didn't get two steps before he caught hold of her arm. Her feet slipped on the mud, and she dropped the stuffed wolf, falling on her knees. He yanked her roughly to her feet.

"What are you running for?" he demanded, his voice gravelly and thick. "I haven't even threatened you yet."

The yet hung in the air between them as he inspected her briefly. "Hmm," he said, "pretty but a little heavy. Long dark hair." He pulled her close, stuck his face into her hair and inhaled deeply. "Yeah, you're her all right-the Bjornsen girl." He said her last name in a thickly accented way, like Aunt Maggie did. "The others all made it sound like it was so hard to catch you alone. Guess it must be my luck."

He put his hands on her neck and forced her face upward. She stared up into his slate-gray eyes. "I like to look my prey in the eyes when I kill it." he said coldly.

Anger flared in Amanda's chest. She lashed out savagely with her knee, trying to catch him between the legs but she missed. He merely laughed and jerked her off balance, thwarting a second attempt.

Suddenly Amanda could hear running feet splashing through the mud behind her. "Hey, you!" Connor was yelling. "Let her go!"

She felt the hands around her neck tightened down. Amanda struggled and then lashed out with her right arm, breaking the choke hold.

She fell on her side in the mud just as Connor arrived. He jumped in between them, bumping chest to chest with the man. "You get away from her!" he screamed in the man's face. The man stared down at him coldly, clearly not intimidated.

"Pup better keep his nose out of this," the man growled at Connor. He pushed Connor hard but Connor was ready for it. He fell back a half foot, but he didn't go down.