Chapter 46 ❆ Consultation

My fight with Black Flame would be the last fight for the entire tournament. After this, it would mark the end of the whole affair. Erenol would prepare for entry into Dragoon Academy while Maun and I would stay here to begin our discipleship into the Temple.

The coldness of my mood persisted for the rest of the day—even getting worse as the time went on. I did not know just how bad this was going to get tonight, so it made me somewhat anxious. However, when afternoon came, the light of the sun helped a lot in alleviating it.

During the long break, I went out to find my mistresses. I debated on how to say it, but I knew things usually came out easier while eating. We'd always discussed our affairs over the table, so, as I stirred the rice and side dish on my bowl, I began to think of how to open the topic.

"Mistress, I might have some trouble tonight," I said.

Maun and Eren gazed at me questioningly.

"What is it?" Mistress Veronika inquired as she spooned the food into her mouth.

"It's the new moon tonight," I told them. "And I'm getting some familiar chills. I don't know what will happen, so I just wanted to warn you."

'Some familiar chills' was vague, especially to outsiders. However, knowing the nature of my ability and its tendency to manifest as frost, they did not need to know more to understand what I was talking about.

"What about the fight?" Mistress Kora asked. "Will it be fine for you to go up there?"

"I think I'll be okay. If I feel that anything wrong happens, I'll immediately get out of there like I did last time," I said. "I know my limits. I don't think I'll be in trouble."

After all, today, I had the privilege of someone looking out for me. Amber rubbed me off the wrong way at times, and our personalities clashed. However, he wasn't all that unreliable. He was just not in the condition to indulge me all the time. I admit, however, that he strived to be present when needed. And he had real skills.

"Since you seem pretty confident, then let it be. Just make sure not to push yourself. If things get dangerous, you know what you should do," Mistress Veronika said.

"Right. And I'll make some preparations in advance as well," Mistress Kora followed.

I nodded resolutely.

"Should we inform the Abbot as well?" Kora asked, gazing at Mistress Veronika.

"I think it would be best to," Mistress Veronika replied. "Since he is now your master. Even though lessons don't formally start after the competition ends. He can at least protect you should something...untoward happens."

"Is that really the best word for that?" Kora squinted at her.

"I assume not. I hesitated," Veronika said. "Anyway, Evy, go and look for your master. Tell him about what you expect tonight. He might...want to observe."

I should have felt nervous considering the tone that Mistress Veronika was using, but I was numb inside. Anyway, the Abbot had long since known about my Deliverer and the nature of my ability. It was only a matter of time before he saw it for himself. I was not too worried about how things would go.

I knew this particular apathy should be worrisome, but it wasn't like I could solve it at the moment. Knowing this, I leisurely ate my meal and then walked around the vicinity to digest. After I felt that my meal had settled, I went over to find my master and consult with him like I was instructed to do by the mistresses.

After asking around for a bit, I found an audience with him in the tearoom where we previously played together. He was waiting for me in the same spot as I had left him that day when we went back to Venerya. The smile on his face was welcoming.