Chapter Eighteen

Chapter 18

Extract from Oriana Harmony Brightmore's Journal

Oriana Harmony Brightmore's Inventory of Favourable Qualities One Should Expect in One's Husband

Taken from the section noted as Amendments & Additions:

Twelve: Under NO circumstances should our time apart during our relationship be construed to, and not limited to, matters that could endanger, dismember, maim and harm that person. Every measure should be exhausted in order to prevent this.

Cole's face was calm and expressionless as he observed the deck of the vessel. It was bustling with crew as they pre-emptively readied the ship for bad weather. The sea was choppy and vehement, churning them about in a forebodingly grey soup that refused to quit. While storm clouds gathered overhead and thunder rolled in the distance, a cold wind swept through him and he welcomed the feel of the salty spray against the skin on his face, the tang of freshness and cleanness in the air.

God, it was good to be out again.

"Worried?"

Cole turned to Captain Wood who, like himself, was garbed in the regal-looking blue coats of their status aboard the ship. "A bit of troublesome weather has never posed much of a problem for me in the past, Mr Wood."

"Yes, I have heard rumours that there is nothing at sea that can defeat you, captain."

Cole's lips thinned at that. He disliked nothing more than a rumour, particularly about him. What mark he had on society should hardly be considered at all. "Contrarily, I have been defeated many a time," Cole told him stiffly. "It is my preparation and attention to every cautionary detail that helps assure me that myself, crew and passengers will be safe. Pirate attacks are sensationalised by the papers, Mr Wood. The public tends to romanticize these kinds of things."

Other than the impending weather, they were making good time. His crew was prepared and worked well as a unit, having sailed with him many times before. Cole meticulously selected the men who he felt would continually be the best fit and he was rarely ever proven wrong of their abilities.

The lower decks consisted of cargo and passengers, all of which were coveted protectively and forewarned of the weather ahead. The ship was preparing for rough seas and though his crew was familiar with the elements, the fearful passengers were not. Cole had ordered everyone who did not work for him to remain in their bunks or, for the more wealthy passengers, in their respective cabins. This was mainly to ensure that a panicked and nervous civilian would stay out of the way of his meticulous crew as they busied themselves with various tasks to ensure smooth sailing.

The first crack of thunder echoed from the heavens followed by the slow fall of fat, icy droplets of rain. It was then that Mr Wood raised his arms and pointed out to the roiling grey horizon of the sea. Just as he did so, his lookout made a gesture with his hand that signalled to Cole an approaching rowboat. The official regalia of the men on the bobbing craft signified they were Lord Ashcroft's people, hence Cole ordered the angling of the huge ship to ensure the rowboat could reach them safely.

"Must be a missive from Lord Ashcroft," Mr Wood pointed out.

Cole glanced at him and frowned.

Undeterred by the other man's silence, Mr Wood – evidently the talkative type – continued to muse aloud, "Would you know what it's about, captain?"

"No."

They soon found out however, as the small rowboat was lurched over the churning waves and secured to the side of the massive ship. The three men were hauled to deck and delivered the crumpled, sealed parchment with the diligence all of Ashcroft's men harboured.