Chapter 2: The Hunt - Kevin

Kevin

Entering the foyer of the Baltimore house, no one is around, not Butch or any of our security personnel. Dan shakes his head as we continue towards the Great Hall.

Christ, they are treating me like a child at this point. Yes, I fucked up, but no damage was done. She has seen me occasionally, but I've kept my distance from her until tonight. This is so ridiculous.

Filled with fury, we stand and wait for the old bastards to grace us with their presence. The giant hall is dark except for the dim sconces around the room. There are two standing candelabras on either side of the throne that have six candles lit, and if they are trying to make me feel uncomfortable, it's not working.

One man in a mask and red cloak comes walking out. He takes a seat on the golden throne. Okay, this seems strange to me because no one may sit there, except...

His long-nosed mask is black, not gold, so this man is not high up in the ranking. I'll wait to hear him speak so that I know who I'm dealing with tonight. This is not Dominus, so I'm a little less nervous.

"So, you saw him?" He asks loudly, and it echoes around the room.

Watching this man close, I do not recognize his voice just yet, and I'm not sure how to answer.

"To whom are you referring, sir?" I ask in a sarcastic tone.

He stands up and walks down the steps towards us. This guy comes directly at me and gets right in my face. He says nothing for a minute as he stares into my eyes. Shit, who the hell is this fucking guy?

The man says in a quick and annoyed tone, "You talked to Calvin Roth, correct?"

Looking at him, I'm still not sure how to respond, so I figure what harm can it do to just tell the truth? Calvin was upset, but he'll bounce back.

"Yes, I spoke to him." I snap back because now I'm irritated.

While continuously walking around us, he then asks more slowly, "How did you destroy him with just one conversation? I'm amazed and quite astounded by this reaction he had to you."

This seems very odd to me. Dan just stares at the floor and I still can't place him.

Annoyed by this cloak and dagger shit, I ask, "What's it to you?"

He immediately fires back, getting in my face once again, and says, "What did you say, boy?"

Dan looks at me as if to say, just tell the man.

Standing directly in front of us, waiting on my answer, I decide to let the chips fall where they may.

This person is nothing, he is a flunky, being told to talk to me in this manner. Whoever is hiding behind the curtain is the one pushing the issue, not this guy.

I explain calmly, "Nothing really. I just told him that Amelia and I were engaged. He became a little upset and..."

The man raises his hand and asks, "Did he believe you?"

Not knowing what to do, I nod, while wondering what this is all about. He then says nothing and we stand there waiting for him to continue.

After a few minutes, he adds, "Thank you for your honesty. Go on your way and I will contact you at a later time."

With that, Dan and I turn around and walk back out the door.

When the two of us enter my room here at the club, Dan says, "What the fuck was that shit? Who was that guy?"