(Chapter 8)

9.16PM, Friday, Dec. 5th

Javotte Public, New York

“Hey, honey,” he said, casually, sliding an arm around my waist “Where did you go to?”

Honey? Oh, so I was “honey” now? That was a little…weird. I looked at him, trying to see for signs of surprise or something – anything signs that meant Oscar had told him the truth.

I realized he was expecting an answer to his question. God, I was so out-of-it tonight.

“Uh…to get some…” I looked around me for inspiration, and saw a guy in a Harry Potter costume with a coke in this hand (that guy was obviously cool. I glanced at the empty space next to him…yep, no girlfriend). “…drinks.”

We both looked at my empty, drink-less hands. Damn it. I’ve always been bad at lying.

“I mean…” I said, trying again. “…I was trying to find the drinks table…so let’s go get them.”

“Sure.”

“So…what did you talk about with Oscar?” I said, carefully. My heart pounded. Did Oscar reveal the truth? I silently prayed. Oscar, please, we’ve been friends for so long, you can’t do this to me now…

“Actually… he said something that was a little weird.”

I almost choked on my gulp of air. My heart thudded against my ribcage, and I gaped.

“I didn’t believe him, though…I thought I should ask you first.”

I could hear the blood pounded against my ears. I swallowed, my tongue chafing against the roof of my mouth, and my palms started sweating. I tried to calm down.

“W-what did he say?”

“Well…He said that you…breed frogs. In your basement.”

I closed my eyes, suddenly relieved.

“So? Is it true?”

“Yeah,” I replied, smiling. “Yes, it is.” Thanks, Oscar. You are the greatest friend ever.

***

Ж Oscar Ж

“How did it go?” Jake asked casually, as a girl walked past him, staring at his face.

“Badly.”

The girl walked into a pole, banging her head hard. Jake didn’t even turn around.

“She has a boyfriend,” I said, ignoring the aching feeling in my chest as I said it. Oh God, now that I say it… It hurts so much more. “I think I should go now. You were right, man. I was too late.”

Jake looked kind of put out by this. “Really, Oz? I’m sorry for you… but, uh, I’m going to stay.”

“What? I had to drag you here. Why do you want to stay?”

“Uh…no reason.”

“You’re a bad liar, Jake. Just tell me.”

“Nothing, I just sort of saw my old friend…” he said, awkwardly. “So, uh, you get back first, and I’ll come back as soon as possible.”

“Sure. But you should remember that you have a fight later.”

“The fight’s only at one AM. I have long enough.”

“Fine. Bye.”

I made my way through the ferociously jumping crowd. Just as I left, I caught a glimpse of Summer and Blane, slow-dancing together. The dull ache in my chest suddenly spiked, and pain throbbed from my heart.