(Chapter 6)

6.10PM, Tuesday, Dec. 2th

400 West 37th Street, New York

"What?" I gasped, jumping up. "What are you talking about?"

"The Winter Formal," he repeated, his cheeks flushing a little. "You know, the school dance?"

"Oh Oscar, I...don't know."

"As friends," he said, his voice slightly bitter now.

"Uh...I might just go with my friends, from school. I mean, you don't really want to come, do you?" I said quickly, trying not hurt his feelings. "It's a lame school dance. Right?"

"Fine," he said, turning away, frowning a little. He was hurt, anyway. Great. "So...who are you going with?" He tried to sound offhand, but his voice cracked, giving it away.

But that was the question. Who do I go with?

***

12.10PM, Wednesday, Dec. 3th

Javotte Public, New York

Blane...Jake...Blane...Jake... I plucked the flower's petals out, defacing it completely. The petals fluttered down, twisting and dancing in the breeze. Blane, Jake, Blane, Jake...

"Hey, Summer..."

I barely looked up. "Hi, Grace."

"What you doing?" she asked, staring at the flower I was mutilating. I tried to keep track of the names as I glared at the flower, tearing away petal after petal.

"Just trying to decide something," I sighed.

"What?"

"Nothing. I just -"

Blane...Jake...No, wait. What did I say before? I said Blane twice...Or did I? Annoyed, I threw away the flower.

"What were you trying to decide?"

"Who to take to the Winter Formal."

Grace smiled, but in a nice way. "You have options now? I thought Oscar was the only guy who would talk to you."

I glared at her, elbowing her side. "Shut up. I have...options. Two. Mr. Right or Mr. Right Now. Who would you take?"

"Isn't it obvious? If this "Mr. Right" is actually Mr. Right..."

I bit my lip. "But...the other guy..."

"Is more exciting? More fun? Crazier? That's what makes him Mr. Right Now, honey. Trust me, guys like that don't do so well in long-term relationships."

"I guess so..."

Why do I feel like this?

***

5.03PM, Wednesday, Dec. 3th

King's Plaza, New York

"How about this?" Grace asked, holding a black dress to her chest. I'd called for Grace's backup, as I don't actually shop that often, and so my fashionability factor was slightly questionable.

"Are you kidding?!" I spluttered. "It's slit down to the belly button!"

She lifted up the hem, winking. "Come on, Summer, it's the Winter Formal, go crazy!"

"...Do you realize what you just said? 'Come on, Summer, it's the Winter Formal'?"

"Yeah. You have a really bad name," she teased, smirking evilly. "I don't think you can really make nicknames out of 'Summer' either. Summy? Merry? Ummer?"