Help me

I asked what Galaxy Zoo was and this surprised him. He asked me if I did not remember being abducted by aliens and living at Galaxy Zoo. I looked at him and had to giggle as his face was changing colours. I had no idea that the medicine was doing this. All I knew was that it was fun to look at. I told him in a slurred voice that of course, I remembered Galaxy Zoo. I just did not want to discuss it.

Rory held my shoulders and told me that he was so worried about me.

"Do you not see what is happening," he shouted, "The medicine is destroying you. It is making you a zombie. It is killing your spirit and your ability to think! You are just a spaced-out child that is like an empty cup. I have seen this happen before. You are high as a kite, and cannot think properly. You no longer care. You have become submissive so people can now control you and think for you! You have to fight this."

Rory left me to think. This was very hard to do, as my mind was like spaghetti. I did understand that he thought that I changed and was now drugged up. The thing was that I was happy. In a way my mind was free and I did not have to think about Galaxy Zoo or my parents. I did not have to prove myself to anyone. I did not have to worry about exams or having people accept me. I did not have to be unhappy. I could live in my shell and let the world survive without me. Maybe the medicine had caused a lot of effects, but to be honest, I did not care.

So the days went by and I did not even notice. I did not think that a part of me was disappearing every day as I was becoming more addicted to medicine. I was high all the time and becoming more like a vegetable. I even stopped talking and just giggled when I hallucinated something funny. The staff there smiled at me and told me that it was nice to see how happy I was. This was just as bad as the medicine, as it was people accepting of what I have become, and this acceptance made me allow them to make me more like a zombie.

Mom visited me once in a while. I just sat and let her speak about her career and how relaxed things were not at home. I did not care that she did not tell me that I was missed. Even if she said this, I would not believe it. I would just sit there and giggle. This was most likely because my mind was playing tricks with me, like seeing her hair as butterflies flying around. Mom told the nurse that she was very happy about my progress and it was so nice to see me smile again.

When mom went, she suddenly wanted to hug me. I told her in a lispy slurred voice that I did not want to hug her. I then looked at her and told her that I hated her.

Rory came into the dorm after mom went. I wanted to cry but could not. My body was shaking and I was sweating. I told Rory that I needed to ask the doctor for more medicine. He sighed and asked how did I ever survive at Galaxy Zoo?

I tried telling him that I was not even sure it happened. I looked at him and say if aliens did exist, why would they kidnap me? It must have been a bad dream or something I made up. I do not know why I would make such a story like that up. It was most likely because I just wanted attention from my parents. I then repeated over and over that it must have all been a dream.

Rory became angry and shouted. "I cannot take this anymore. You can not see that this medicine is killing you. You can't even speak anymore. I did not understand anything you just said. You have to look in the mirror and admit that you are an addict and letting this place kill you!"

Rory left and I sat on the bed. The nurse came to put today's medicine on the table and commented that I was most likely waiting for the medicine. I just looked at the pills as she went. For the first time in a long time, I could think. Rory was right. The doctors and medicine were controlling me. They stopped me from thinking and killing my soul. I was an addict! I was no longer myself.

I stumbled through the hallways to the little garden where I found Rory. I started crying and whispered one word...

"Help me"

Rory took my hand and led me back to the ward. He had a plan. He would be there when the nurse put the medicine on my table. Then he would take the tablets and flush them down the toilet. Rory hugged me and said that this would be hard for me, as I was an addict. I needed to have courage.

It was very difficult! After a day, I was begging Rory for just one tablet. I also threatened to tell the doctor that he stole my medicine. Rory was stubborn. He was beside my side all the time. He also managed to keep the nurse away from me, saying that I had the flu and he would take care of that. When the nurse said she should take care of me, she just shrugged her shoulders and said to do what we want. It was so nice that she cared about me and I am using irony here!

The withdrawal symptoms were like being in hell. I couldn't sleep. I was cold and sweating. Every muscle in my body was aching. My mind was so confused. I considered Rory to be an enemy. He would not even give me a tablet. He would also say daft things like it will get worse before it gets better. I would scream at him calling him every name that I could and try to make him feel bad because he promised to help me. Rory had the patience of the saint and sat beside me all the time. He would demand that I should drink something and I should rest. He told me that he was proud of me.

I do not know how long the withdrawal lasted. One day I woke up and felt much better. I was very tired. I looked at Rory sleeping on the chair. I felt sorry for him. I was so mean to him and he was the only person that only cared for me. The nurse didn't even come when I was in so much agony. She just let another child take care of me. I looked at Rory and knew that he saved my life.

Rory woke up and I told him that I was hungry. I have never seen another person smile so much as he jumped up and said he would be back.

While he was gone, a sudden bright light in the room. At first, I thought it was another hallucination. Then as the light dimmed, I could see that it was Zenko. He looked very confused and then told me that Sandra begged him to see how I was doing. Zenko asked me why I did not use telepathy. I tried to answer that, but he interrupted and asked why was I in a mental institution?

I told him everything that happened and this angered Zenko. Then Rory came back with food and dropped the tray as he saw an ape-like alien with one eye in the room. Zencho ignored the boy and told me that he was taking me back to the spaceship.

"I can't do that," I said
"Why not?"
"I cannot leave Rory here. He has saved my life and is like a brother to me. He cares about me and I love him so much,"

Rory had tears in his eyes. He asked me if it was true when I said he was like a brother. I smiled telling him I considered him a brother. Rory started crying as he explained he never felt wanted or part of a family. This was such a blessing.

Zenko had no patience and said there was only one solution. He asked Rory if he wanted to come with us to outer space. Rory hugged Zenko.

Before we knew it, we were all on the spaceship. Sandra was there. I wasted no time hugging her and telling her all that happened. Sandra was now in tears as she gave Rory and me a hug.

I asked Zenko where we would be going. He explained that his family owned a small planet that was very much like Earth. They decided it would be a human sanctuary where we could live in peace. No one would owe us, we would not be a tourist attraction, no one could find us and we would have all that we wanted.

Sandra looked at Rory and me and said. "We will be a family and we will be happy"

The end
Remember to look at my profile and read the other stories I have written