Guilt and Consequence

GUILT AND CONSEQUENCE

1

Moments later they had all congregated back into the living room.  Nancy’s hand was shaking as Rani offered her the bowl of dessert, filled to the brim with strawberry angel whip, tinned peaches and raspberry ripple ice cream.  Handing it to Luke, Clyde shuddered at the blank look on his best friend’s face.  Staring at him as though he was not in the room.  

Because the others were still in a state of shock Rani picked up the phone and explained to Tegan that something odd had happened to Luke but not to worry as Edward had it all under control.  Almost laughing at the language Tegan used to express her feelings on the situation.  The man in question glanced up with an arched eyebrow as he heard Tegan use interesting terminology to describe his family situation.  After she had assured Tegan that there was no need for them to come over she rang off, sat next to Clyde and ate her pudding.  

Glancing at the angel whip with a look of contempt, Edward slowly stirred his into a sloppy mess, eventually putting some in his mouth.  Now was not the time to be awkward.  The Doctor was even more suspicious over the peaches.  Tinned peaches?  What was wrong with fresh ones?  Shrugging his shoulders he delved in... Actually, very tasty. Would have preferred melon though, they sat opposite each other.  Both glancing at Luke and Nancy as they ate.

“So,” Rani said directing her look towards Nancy, “when do you two plan on getting married?”

Looking up, Edward noticed Nancy had paled considerably.  “Excuse me,” she said getting up.  “I shall wish you all goodnight.  Dad,” she turned to Edward, “go back to mum as soon as possible.  Tell her not to worry about me anymore!”

With that she walked out of the room.  Frowning, Edward gulped down the last of the dessert.  There was something odd about the way Nancy appeared.  Her manner, the way she said... Quietly, he rose to follow her.  The Doctor was currently boasting of how he had managed to avoid Vampires in his Fourth form to a very wide eyed Clyde.  Hang around, Clyde, Edward thought, and he may just burst into song.

Slowly, he crept up the stairs.  Thumping sounds heard from above.  Following the sound he found the bedroom.  Nancy had clearly commandeered the main bedroom since her mother had no use for it anymore.  This was the bed that Dorothy had slept in, he sighed, do not give in to sentimental thinking.  You may be in love but that does not give you permission to be a fool!  

“What are you doing here?” she hissed as she caught sight of his reflection advancing towards hers.

“My question precisely,” he said as he reached out to touch her shoulder.

Closing her eyes she swept his hand off her shoulder and bunched her hands into fists before swinging around to face him.

“Oh it is all right for you!  YOU can fight it.  YOU can stand it.  Somehow, even mother can control it.  I CAN’T!”

Edward licked his lips slightly as he contemplated her outburst, “Your mother is a strong woman with absolute conviction of heart that nothing will overtake her!  I am a stubborn Timelord with the will to hold any form of power handed over to him,” he tucked some of her hair behind her ear, “Do not belittle yourself, Nancy.  If you could not control it, you would have destroyed yourself by now.  Underestimation of one’s self is exactly what the enemy wishes to use as a tool against you.  Do NOT give them the satisfaction.  YOU are not only The Master’s Daughter,” smiling at her, “but you are also Dorothy McShane’s, and we all know what she used to call herself!”

“Ace!” she sighed, trying not to smile back averting her eyes down towards the floor.

“I do not like that sobriquet,” Edward said, “Your mother has raised you well.  You may not think it but when you kept standing up to me when I was,” he caught the hard look in her eyes as she raised them up keeping her head down, “yes, well, I could not be more proud of you as I was then.  Just think on this,” he tilted her chin so they could lock gaze, “Nyssa did not give up, either!”