Chapter Four

AARON

I don't know what came over me when I decided to call Harley. I would say it was a momentary decision, but then I would be lying to myself. I know for a fact that the reason I called Harley over was because her presence had an effect on me that I can only recall from when my sister was alive.

My loneliness shouldn't have persuaded me into calling Harley over, but there was no other way to ease my racing mind. Harley was in the bathroom getting ready at the moment, which give me a bit of time to try and get my thoughts together.

My hands are clammy and my heart is racing, how on earth am I supposed to explain to this woman why I put her clothes in the wash? I should be able to answer because I did it, but what do I say? Oh hey Harley,  I just put your clothes in the wash because I wanted to be a gentleman? That makes me feel like a creep.

I cannot even put a stop to the battle in my head before the bathroom door opens and Harley steps out. The sight of her in those silk pajamas has my mouth instantly dry. Her dark hair is wet from the shower and she looks so relaxed as she walks towards the bed and takes a seat directly across from me.

Its as though I'm staring directly into the depths of brown, the dark colour seems to bring out her light skin making it seem as though it were glowing. But hey, maybe its just me... Because those rosey cheeks can surely be placed between my teeth-

"Ready to explain?" She raises her right brow sharply as the words slide of her tongue in a questioning tone.

"I-" I clear my throat in an attempt to remove the bile rising in my throat under her scrutinizing gaze. "To be honest, the reason why I washed your clothes was because I wanted you to have a reason to stay here longer."

My words float in the air for a few seconds then I continue. "I don't know what you're doing to me Harley, this is all crazy. One minute I'm okay and the next, I can't stop thinking about you which probably has you freaked out. But I'm just as freaked out. I'm not committing to any love of any sort, because that's too soon I'm only letting you know that you make me feel at home."

"I think I should just leave, because me coming here was something I hadn't thought about clearly-"

"I'm not asking you for a lifelong commitment, I'm only asking you to stay for the night. You-" I take a deep breath and release it slowly through gritted teeth. "You just make me feel as though I have my sister right beside me. I don't know what it is or why its happening, but what I do know is that it feels like home."

My eyes burn with hot tears as I stare at my shaking hands. Dammit Aaron, you're such a wuss. I try blinking the tears away but they won't leave. The bed moves and I feel Harley getting off the bed, I brace myself for the sound of the door clicking closed as she leaves. But am shocked when she walks over to me and hugs me.

Her left hand rubs soothing circles on my back and her right cups my face in such a way that my head moves toward her chest. A groan escapes and soon warm tears follow, her touch reminds me so much of my sister, Emily.

My mind is so clouded right now that half of what I'm doing is barely visible anymore. My hands move so that they are snaked around Harley's small waist. My heart leaps and my tears increase. I feel like I'm falling into an endless maze of pain, where there is no exit so the only thing I can do is cling onto Harley or the maze will swallow me whole until I'm never able to escape.

The pain in my chest tightens as I cling onto Harley, my anchor that I never knew I needed. Emily was my twin sister, her being the oldest by a half an hour. Mom had a really long labour because we were clinging onto eachother in the womb and the doctors couldn't break us apart.