Chapter Two

Two years before the accident

HARLEY

4 June, Saturday

"Harley, I need you to breath sweetie."

I shake my head, the pain in my chest tightens and my eyes burn. This is all too much, I'm going to die. Why is this happening to me? I shake my head because breathing seems so hard.

"Come on sweetie." Molly rubs my back lightly and says sweet, comforting words to me. But nothing can get rid of the pain. Tears spill out as I try leveling out my thoughts, trying hard to concentrate on Molly's voice.

"Count with me.1, 2, 3... just focus on my voice okay? Inhale... Exhale... Inhale... Exhale."

She rubs soothing circles on my back, holding onto me, being my rock. My lungs suddenly open up and I'm able to breath slow trembling breathes. My tears flood my cheeks as oxygen travels through me. A strangled sob leaves my lips and I cling onto Molly.

Molly and I were working out but my lungs could not take it. My breathing became laboured and I became dizzy from the lack of oxygen transported in my body. Shortness of breath is one of the things I've grown to live with for a while now.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with an Atrial Septum Defect, which is a hole in the wall between the two upper chambers of my heart. The doctors said the hole is not so big that I'll need an immediate surgery, but I still attend monthly checkups. Dr Larson, my cardiologist said that the hole can close on its own so it won't be necessary to worry too much, as long as I take care of myself and don't forget to take it easy.

That means that I can only exercise for a maximum of thirty minutes a week, so as to not put too much pressure on my heart. The doctors don't seem too worried about it, though they did mention that if the hole hasn't closed on its own in the next two years than I'll have to go for surgery so that they can close it.

"That's it sweetie. Are you okay?"

"Ye-yeah. Thank you Molly."

"We should really take it easy. We were both so lost in thought that we didn't realize just how fast we were going."

A laugh escapes my lips inspite of the fast rising and falling of my chest. Because even my worst times hardly feel that bad when I'm with Molly.

"We better not mention this to Dr Larson. She'd kill us both."

Molly breaks out into a snort kind of laugh, but is cut off by my phone ringing from the kitchen island. I get up and try to steady myself before grabbing it and answering without checking the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Harls, I need you for Tuesday. So make sure you have no plans, okay?"

Marcela's voice fills my ears in a soft melody. Even though I haven't been at work for only a day, I already miss her sweet voice. Marcela's been a mother figure for the past few years, helping me get through so much by just being by my side. Molly and Micheal have always been there, but Marcela was more like a mother to me because she treated me like her very own. There were times when I'd be having the worst day at work, and she would lay my head on her lap and stroke my hair, letting me cry out all my sorrow without minding one bit.

Her affection for me is so great it feels as though mom is still here most of the time. Marcela and mom were best friends since primary school and never left the other no matter what struggles were put before them. Marcela understood my pain and grief so much more then anyone else because she lost her mom a few years before I was born, in a tragic car accident.