Chapter 2

ERIKA'S POV

I woke up to the bright and early sun shining intensely through the glass doors. I sat up and stretched my sleepy bones. I slipped on my white cotton robe and slippers and snuck outside onto the balcony. I breathed in the sweet, morning London breeze. I closed my eyes and let the sun warm my face. My eyes popped open as a thrum sounded and I spotted Big Ben's giant face; it's arms slowly ticking around in a cricle. I smiled, it's not everyday you get to wake up and stare at B. Benny.

I looked down the street and spotted a little string of shops and marts. I ran back inside and grabbed my suitcase. I flipped it open and scavenged through them for a cute shirt. I finally found my white blouse with the ruffles and my red flats. I also found my dark wash skinny jeans and my sunglasses.

I sprinted to the bathroom and started changing. I stripped of my previous slippers, robe and pajamas; and replaced them with the blouse, jeans and flats. I combed quickly through my wavy hair, put on a bit of makeup and slipped on my sunglasses. I then returned and stuffed the old clothes back into the suitcase. I rummaged through it even more and found my black and white scarf. I plucked it out and wrapped it loosely around my neck.

"Where are you off to?" Lindsay asked sitting on the bed with her phone.

I looked up, "Oh, well when I was out on our balcony, I noticed they have a little place down at the end of our street. It has a bunch of shops and I was gonna go check it out."

She examined my outfit, "Isn't it cold outside?"

I frowned at her, "I think you're forgetting the fact that I survived December in Alaska. If I can do that, I can survive December in London." I grabbed the hotel key and my phone from the nightstand and trotted over to the door.

"I'm off! See ya later for lunch!"

"Too-da-loo Erikah!" She called after me in her british accent. I chuckled as I skipped to the elevator. I pressed the down button and waited patiently for the elevator doors to open. They spread apart and I hopped in pressing the floor button. The elevator descended down and the doors opened again. I stepped out into the lobby and started walking towards the revolving door.

I spotted Karen behind the desk, tidying things up; making the lobby look presentable. She left into another room, and when she disappeared behind the corner, I ran over to her desk. I found post-it notes and a black pen. I quickly scribbled down: "Thank you for your friendly and kind service Karen." I took $30 out of my wallet and wrapped the sticky note around it. I placed it beneath her computer and trotted out the revolving door.

I spied around the counter to watch her reaction. Karen came back and assumed her position behind the counter. She stacked papers and then turned to her computer. When her expression became confused, I knew she had seen the tip. I watched as she picked it up delicately to read it. She mouthed silently what I had written on the note to herself. She unfolded it and gasped when she saw the money. She started to frantically search the lobby for who had done it.

I quickly ran down the street until I disappeared around the corner. I kept walking, hoping Karen wouldn't notice who I was. I saw her look outside but she gave up and went back inside to her post. I smiled and carried on to the shops. As I entered the circle of them, the smell of coffee washed over me. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply; oh how I love coffee.

My eyes popped open and my eyes focused in on a Starbucks a couple feet away from me. "Bingo!" I whispered excitedly as I skipped over to the entrance. I swung open the doors and was overwhelmed with the smell of freshly brewed coffee and peppermint. I removed my sunglasses and placed them atop my head and took my place behind an older gentleman in line. There was at least five customers in front of me - I don't want to wait this long! I was about to turn around and leave when Lindsay's voice popped in my head: "Good things come to those who wait." Maybe she was right. Ugh, I hate when she's right. I sucked in a deep breath and tried my best to be patient.