Chapter Three: She's A Killer

Killing does not bother her.

The fact that it doesn't bother her, does.

As she drives a spear through the heart of her last foe, ending his life, Charvi feels no remorse whatsoever. It's almost scary

Unable to sleep after getting home from the studio, she had decided to head into the Demon realm. Not Bethlehem this time, but Aromatti, a town of magical and Demonic education. Charvi spent time with her instructors there, before moving on to Cliff Country, a Demon city made up of forests, valleys and desserts. There she took a job from a fixer.

Though she has not established herself with any particular profession in the Demon realm, her abilities have lead her to take combat quests or bounty hunting. On a quiet day she'll climb a mountain to retrieve a special gem for someone, but mostly she ends up on jobs like her current one.

A group of bandits had been terrorizing a string of Forest Demon villages. They were beating people and stealing their food, livestock, gems and inspiring young impressionable villagers to join them.

Now all thirty of them lay dead, from their own spears turned against them, Charvi's white-hot light magic or a cut to the throat or belly with one of her new daggers. Their cave is littered with green gnarly bodies, blood and everything they had been hoarding.

"You destroyed them all," a voice says, bewildered. She turns to see two of the village elders who had lead her to the bandit's lair looking upon the scene with wide eyes at the mouth of the cave.

Uncomfortable, Charvi throws the spear down beside the last to die. The hideout is starting to stink. There is nothing worth scavenging from such a wretched place.  

 The two councilman, green-skinned and white-bearded, bow as she passes them by. 

"Thank you, uh-"

The elder stops speaking and looks Charvi up and down. She is used to that particular stare; her breed of Demon is not obvious as it is with others.

"Nova," is all Charvi says as she steps over the guards she had killed first, "My name is Nova." 

"Then we proclaim you Nova, the Vanquisher!"

Her shoulders hunch as she cringes at the name. There was no vanquishing, only sport.

"I am honored," she stops and turns to the elder, "I'm not interested in their spoils. You should have the boys who planned to join them build a pyre and burn their bodies as a lesson. Turn on your people, face the consequences."

The councilmen nod and bow deeply, "You are very wise."

In Hell's Gate, when kids would act out and run around putting graffiti everywhere and making a mess, it was custom once they were caught to make them clean it up. Charvi knew it was a good deterrent since many of the culprits were kids she knew; kids who grew out of it because they learnt to take responsibility.

Holding off on flying away, Charvi takes a leisurely stroll through the East Forest of Cliff Country. It's warm, a perfect temperature, not quite tropical but comfortable. The grass is soft like hair, green like on Earth. Most Demon grass is purple or red.

A crystal stream carves out paths for fish along the ground, great trees as tall as skyscrapers blow in a gentle wind, small creatures harmless and un-hunted inhabit their branches.

If she made her home in the realm, it would be here.

Instead, after flying back to the capital and collecting her fee, she returns to her real home.