Death

I gasped awake, shaking in fear. I jumped up quickly, surprised that I felt no pain. I looked behind me at the car with its front smashed in and looked around at all the people running towards me. This one lady ran right up to me, looking horrified and whipped out her cell phone. "Yes, this is an emergency. A girl was just hit by a car!!!"

I stepped up next to her, but she didn't look at me. "Look, I'm okay! Calm down, I'm fine."

She kept talking into her phone just as frantically. "Maybe 17 years old? 18? I don't know, but it looks really bad."

"No, it isn't." I was almost shouting at her trying to get her to hear me. "I'm fine!" I reached forward to tap her on the shoulder, and my hand went right through her. I froze. What the...

I looked back at the lady who suddenly stride forward, right through me, and knelt close to the car. "No, I," she was stuttering into the phone, "I don't know. I'll check." She reaches down towards something and for the first time I looked down to the shape lying in front of the dented car. I saw a pair of mangled legs sticking out past the lady.

I slowly walked around her, fearing what I'd see. It was a body, badly mangled with blood covering her face and hair and two ribs sticking straight out of her chest. I didn't recognize her face through all the blood though she looked familiar, but I did recognize her clothes. My clothes.

The body was wearing my pants complete with the one ripped knee and the stain on the thigh. My normally white-ish t-shirt was red with blood and ripped by the ribs sticking through it. My backpack was lying next to her head, ripped open with my extra pair of socks poking out soaking up the red puddle slowly growing from under the corpse.

I looked down at myself, and I looked fine, and I was wearing my clothes and everything. The problem was that I could see through myself. Completely through me. I was transparent.

It suddenly hit me. I was dead.