Chapter Nineteen - Hot Wands & Dinner at The Donovan's

After grabbing my overnight bag and my keys, I rushed down the stairs and into the front room where my mother was sat on the sofa with a magazine flipped open and the weather forecast playing softly in the background.

"-be the worst storm the West Coast has seen in years." The voice of the weatherman droned on as I knocked on the wooden door of the front room to catch my mother's attention.

She smiled as she looked up from her magazine "Hey honey, are you leaving?"

"Yeah, I left a note with Jenna's address, mobile- and home phone number on the kitchen counter." I informed her. Despite already being seventeen, my mother still wanted to know my exact whereabouts at all times and be able to reach me in case of an emergency. I doubted she would actually use either of the phone numbers written in blue ink on the pink sticky note, but it was reassuring to her just knowing that they were there.

"Ok, have fun sweetheart."

I walked over to her and gave her a quick peck on the cheek "I will." If everything goes according to plan. By according to plan I meant; ditch Caden, haul a cab to San Francisco and be back before the clock struck twelve so Jaxon could pick us up again. How Cinderella of me.

"-residents are advised to stay inside of their homes until the storm blows over." I shut the door to the front room, blocking out the sound of the weather forecaster and quickly slid on my boots and coat before making my way out of the front door.

While the walk to Jenna's house would usually be twenty minutes, the gusts of wind outside were so strong that it took me at least thirty. I was out of breath by the time I rang her doorbell.

"Hey, come on in." Jenna said as she answered the door, giving me a quick hug as I stepped inside where I was immediately engulfed by the warmth and the smell of roasted chicken. I took a quick whiff of the air and smiled as I hung up my coat on the coat rack "That smells amazing. Who's cooking?"

"My mom." Jenna told me as she led me towards the front room "She's going all out because you're here."

I'd never met Jenna's mother, so I curiously peeked my head into the kitchen as we passed it. She was standing behind the stove dressed in a grey turtleneck sweater with her blonde hair tied up in a messy bun and a kitchen apron tied around her neck.

"Hello Mrs. Donovan." I said as I stepped into the kitchen, greeting her with a warm smile which she quickly returned.

"Nina!" She beamed "It's so nice to finally meet you, Jenna has told me so much about you." She surprised me by pulling me into a hug which I quickly returned with a slightly uncomfortable pat on the back.

"Mom," Jenna whined "you don't just say that to people. It's weird."

Mrs. Donovan and I chuckled simultaneously and that's the moment Jaxon decided to walk in. "What's so funny?" He asked as he walked towards the fridge, pulling it open and peeking inside.

"Mom is making me out to be a stalker." Jenna complained and Jaxon simply quirked an eyebrow as he retrieved a carton of milk from the fridge "Aren't you?" he asked before putting the white rim to his lips and taking a sip.

Jenna rolled her eyes and hit him across the back of his head, causing him to sputter the milk back out and onto his hand "Ew!" he whined "What was that for?"

Jenna opened her mouth, clearly ready to insult him when Mrs. Donovan stepped in "Jenna!"

"He started it!" She whined in disbelief and her mother shook her head "Jaxon, stop insulting your sister." She said before adding "And don't drink from the carton."