Chapter Fifteen - Rejection & Rude Awakenings

As the smell of stale pizza and burnt fries hit my nose I realized that there was one thing I definitely hadn't missed during my absence from school; the cafeteria food.

It was currently Wednesday, my first day back at Capitola High after my two day internship at the law firm, and suddenly the picnic table in Kelley Park no longer seemed like such a bad place to spend my lunch, especially as I was helplessly being dragged through the cafeteria by the girl who was supposed to be my best friend, but seemed more like my worst enemy right now.

"You know, I really don't think this is a good idea." I squeaked nervously as Jenna pulled me along towards the group of guys sitting around a large table in the middle of the cafeteria.

Jenna rolled her eyes "You'll be fine. Besides, you can't avoid your date until homecoming."

I held up a finger "Actually," I protested "I plan to do exactly that." Well, as soon as I found out who my date was exactly, something Jenna had suggested we did during lunch. In other words, right now.

As we approached the table we overheard Matt plea to his friend "Dude, please. You're the only one without a date and my chick can't go if her friend doesn't have a date."

"I told you Matt," the guy I recognized as Timothy grumbled in response "there's no way I'm taking that Becker chick. That new guy nearly pummeled me for bumping into her. I might be crazy, but I don't have a death wish."

Pummeled? New guy? I frowned before remembering the incident a few weeks ago where Timothy had bumped into me in class and apologized later on in the day.

Oh you have got to be kidding me.

"Eh, guys..." One of Matt's friends interrupted them as he stared at us wide-eyed.

"What?" Matt snapped in annoyance, and the boy simply pointed at us in response.

Matt and Timothy turned around simultaneously, their faces slowly falling as they took us in standing only a few feet away. "J-Jenna!" Matt stuttered in surprise, quickly sitting up in his seat as he turned around to face us completely "How long have you guys been standing there?" He asked us nervously, though we all knew he meant to ask 'How much of that conversation did you hear?'.

"Timothy." I said, answering Matt's unspoken question and turning everybody's attention towards myself. Timothy looked up at me guiltily and I asked him "What were you talking about?" Though I already had a pretty good idea, I needed to hear him say it.

He scratched the back of his neck and glanced away, avoiding eye contact "I'm not really supposed to say..." He mumbled.

I bit my bottom lip in annoyance and urged him on "Timothy. Tell me, please."

Timothy sighed before glancing past me "I think you already know." He said, and I followed his gaze towards the corner of the cafeteria where Caden was sat at his usual table, chair tilted back and feet resting on the table as if he didn't have a care in the world.

Well, not for long at least.

"Listen, I'm really sorry Nina, but I'm not going to-" Timothy began, but I cut him off mid sentence "It's fine, I get it." I said, forcing a smile.

In reality I didn't get it. I didn't get how Caden could act so hateful one moment and so caring the next. How was I supposed to believe him when he said he wanted nothing to do with me, when he kept meddling in my freaking business?

What was that saying? Actions speak louder than words?

Whatever it was, it was driving me insane, and it was about time I did something about it.