Chapter 1

"Mr. Peters, may I ask exactly how you got into this... predicament?" The man had a deep Russian accent and bulging muscles that were easily defined through his Armani suit. I was handcuffed to a steel table that was screwed into the concrete floor in an abandoned warehouse. It was not a very original setting, but frightening all the same. The man pulled out a gun out the back of his suit pants and screwed a silencer onto the barrel. I gulped loudly and my forehead started perspiring.

"I-its a long story..." I said, my tongue thick in my mouth. Yeah, it was a long story. Not too long ago I was an ordinary guy, doing ordinary everyday things, now however, I was a hostage in the outskirts of Russia.

"Well, Mr. Peters, it appears we have a lot of time. Start talking." He put his finger over the trigger and aimed the gun at my head. My heart was going at a breakneck speed and my body seized up.

"Mr. Peters?" He said once again, begging me to defy him.

"It all started at Mcdonald's."

 I pushed the button and waited for the elevator to come down. It was a long ways down from the 14 floors above and my feet still hurt from standing while my mother used me as a mannequin the night before. My 16 year old cousin was going to homecoming, and my mom offered to make her dress. I suppose using me as a model would have been fine, except that I was a twenty-five year old man. 

The door opened and I walked inside. I pressed the number for the 11th floor and waited for it to reach my job. The elevator opened again and I walked quickly to through the hallway and entered an office door. Misleadingly behind it was a entire sector of Mcdonald's. 

I checked my watch. It was 7:45. It always was when I arrived at work. I liked being early, cutting it close was too much of a heartpounding activity for my liking, and I tried to avoid it at all costs. At 7:47, I would clock in, and walk past the mail room on the way to my cubicle. I would wave to Jeremy, who worked midnight to 8 A.M., and smile politely to Gregory, the janitor. After that, I would walk into the large room that housed the thirty cubicles, each of which were slightly personalized with family photos and pictures of cats and the like.

My cubicle was in the middle of the cluster. It was not as personalized as the others, but I liked to think that it was much more organized. Instead of family portraits, I had two cups, one filled with with pencils, the other filled with pens. Instead of pictures of adorable animals, I had staplers and erasers.

I worked in the corporate branch of Mcdonald's, and it was an important job. We made decisions about new products and new specials that every Mcdonald's had, as well as covering up the real nutrition facts.

It was 7:50 now.

Samantha was walking in the office again, like always. Her cubicle was across from mine, and her pretty face was now forever embedded as the normal scene at the workforce. She was a blond bombshell and I was sure she would make it far at Mcdonald's incorporated. She had the smarts and the body that the board members would appreciate. I gave her a small smile like always and she grinned back at me, her grey eyes twinkling under the florescent lighting.

"Hey John!" She said with a light smile.

"Good morning." I replied. 

Everyday was the same. Life was good.

The new girl, Nadia, stumbled in after her. I frowned, I never liked change and I wasn't used to her presence. She was an awkward person, and she dressed like my grandmother, baggy flower printed dresses and all that came with the look. She had light caramel skin and jet black hair that she kept held back in an extremely tight bun at the back of her head. Most of her face was blocked by her gigantic square framed glasses and it made her nose look misshapen. I grimaced as she went to her cubicle that was right next to mine. Derek quit a week ago to live his dream of owning a llama farm in Nebraska, and the company needed all the hands they could get. 

Nadia half tripped on her long maternity-like outfit, and knocked my cups off my desk. I nearly fainted. All my pens and pencils were on the floor, mixing together, touching the who knows what that clings to carpet. I scrambled down to pick them all up. That girl-

"I'm sorry! I am so sorry! I really apologize!" She whispered to me, her voice stricken with panic. I didn't respond. I would not tell her how much I hated her now. I will stay silent........

Samantha suddenly appeared next to me and crouched with us to pick up my pens. I felt a cool breeze of relief. She always made me feel better. I breathed in her flower perfume and lovely sour apple shampoo. The situation wasn't that bad...only pens.....

We managed to get them all together and Nadia shuffled like she always did to her cubicle and pulled out a book. Samantha went to the ladies' room, which left me to organize my pens and pencils. One pencil here, one pen there....there was a pen missing. I got on my hands and knees and searched for it under my desk and chair. Where was it? I couldn't have 25 pencils and 24 pens. That wouldn't make any sense. Nadia caused this. Her and her change. I wanted to kill her. There she sat, pretending to be all innocent reading her little book, while my pen is missing and in the wild all alone....

Throughout the day I answered calls, pretended to write down complaints, went on a thirty minute lunch break, and answered more calls. I quietly seethed in my anger and focused on my work.

When I looked up, the office was as empty as it was in the morning. I straightened up my cubicle and put my coat on. As usual, I was always one of the last to leave. Gregory was mopping in the main hallway and I stopped to talk to him. He was a stout middle aged man with a balding head and an unfamiliar European accent.

"Mr. Peetas!" He exclaimed and gave an almost toothless smile. I smiled at him and said, "How is your day?"

"Not too well, the toilets are overflowing and CEO is coming in tomorrow."

"That's too bad," I said, pretending to care. "Anyway, I need to go home, my mom is going to worry about me." I gave him a small nod and I walked over to the elevator. I pressed the down button and waited. My mom was hopelessly dependant on me, without me she would be playing Dominoes alone and have to cook only for herself. She would die of loneliness.

I heard the elevator ding and the door swished aside. Dark brown eyes surrounded by huge glasses hit my vision.

Nadia.

She quickly scooted to a corner in the elevator and stuck her head in a large chapter book, trying to awkwardly be ignored by me. I complied and pressed the button to go to the garage that was below the building. I glanced over at Nadia. Her forehead was acne ridden and she needed to shave her minor moustache off of her upper lip. Her eyes feverishly searched the pages of what ever she was reading. I snorted in my head. Probably the most action she ever got was from a James Paterson novel.

The elevator opened and I was greeted with a better sight. Samantha sauntered in with a seductive sidelong glance, and I returned the look. We did this every time we met outside the office.

I felt suddenly an urge to change up my life. I wanted to ask Samantha on a date. I was shocked at myself, me change my schedule? Who would play Scrabble with mom if I got married to Samantha? Who would watch Jeopardy with her?

Then, I got it.

Samantha and I could watch Jeopardy with my mom together!

"Hey, Samantha," I asked, my eyes slitting to a seductive panther like state.

She, and irritatingly Nadia, looked up at me. Nadia, noticing me noticing her, quickly continued reading.

"Yeah, John?" Samantha said, looking surprised that I said more than the usual good morning. 

"Would you like to go on a date sometime?"

"Um, I have a boyfriend."

"Great! I can pick you up at Eigh- what?" I said, suddenly understanding what she said.

"Yeah...I am dating someone right now." She said, biting her lip uncomfortably. The elevator door opened to the lobby on the ground floor.

"But we still can be friends right?" She asked as she left, turning to look back at me with her gorgeous eyes.

I just emptily nodded. This is why I never should change my life. When everyday is the same, life is good.

______________________________________________________________

Next chapter will be more fast paced and interesting, I promise. ^.^